The Well Dog Book by Terri McGinnis

The Well Dog Book

by Terri McGinnis

From book: In the many years since The Well Dog Book was (first) published, veterinary medicine has changed in extradorinary ways. Not only have new illnesses such as Lyme disease (see page 114) and parvovirus infection (see page 90) appeared, but medical procedures once restricted to the diagnosis and treatment of human maladies are now commonplace in veterinary practice. Blood tests, urinalysis, radiographs (X-ray pictures), electrocardiograms, computers, and the most modern anesthetic are used daily in animal hospitals around the world. Sophisticated medical equipment such as endoscopes, ultrasound machines, CAT scanners, and magnetic resonance imaging aid in the diagnosis and treatment of conditons as diverse as foreign objects eaten by puppies, heart ailments, and brain tumors. Veterinarians specializing in diseases of the eye or skin, internal medicine, surgery, neurology, emergency care, or dentistry can be found in most major cities. Nevertheless, the core of veterinary medicine remains the same. This new edition of The Well Dog Book reflects these changes in veterinary medicine while still addressing the common problems and conce4ns of every pet owner.
  dpk1927 | Apr 18, 2007 |

Written by the same experienced veterinarian responsible for the popular The Well Cat Book, this thoroughly revised and updated reference gives dog owners the skill, confidence, and knowledge they need to raise a healthy pet. Special sections on emergency first aid, breeding and pregnancy, care of puppies are included. 100+ illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

Likened by Pet News to a Dr. Spock for canines, this is the one dog book owners need to ensure their pets' health and well-being. Dr. Terri McGinnis, a practicing veterinarian with over twenty years' experience, thoroughly covers every aspect of dog care: anatomy, daily care, diagnostic medicine, medical emergencies, and home medical care, as well as breeding and reproduction. The Well Dog Book is a comprehensive, easy-to-follow guide that answers the questions most frequently asked by dog owners: * What's the best way to house-train my dog? * How can I remove tar or paint from my dog's coat? * What's the right diet for a puppy, a new mother, an older dog? * What vaccinations does my dog need, and when? * How can I get rid of fleas on my dog and in my house? * What does it mean if my dog is feverish, excessively thirsty, irritable? * What are the special needs of my pregnant dog? How can I help her during delivery? * If my dog has an accident, what do I do? * What problems can I handle myself and when do I need a veterinarian? With over 120 illustrations, a general index for rapid reference, and an invaluable index of signs, The Well Dog Book gives dog owners the knowledge, skills, and confidence to raise a well dog.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,346,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible