Netherland by Joseph O'Neill

Netherland

by Joseph O'Neill

In a New York City made phantasmagorical by the events of 9/11, Hans -- a banker originally from the Netherlands -- finds himself marooned among the strange occupants of the Chelsea Hotel after his English wife and son return to London. Alone and untethered, feeling lost in the country he had come to regard as home, Hans stumbles upon the vibrant New York subculture of cricket, where he revisits his lost childhood and, thanks to a friendship with a charismatic and charming Trinidadian named Chuck Ramkissoon, begins to reconnect with his life and his adopted country.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:stephenlang
Title:Netherland
Authors:Joseph O'Neill
Info:HarperPerennial (no date), Paperback, 300 pages

Netherland by Joseph O'Neill

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (heidialice)
    Saturday by Ian McEwan (thesearch)
    thesearch: Sleekly written intimate post 9/11 portraits.
    Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both have stunning writing making up for absence of plot, and common ground in terms of the immigrant experience in New York
    The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (Othemts)
    Playing hard ball by E. T. Smith (Othemts)
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (sushidog, rjuris)
    sushidog: Perhaps an odd recommendation, but both novels explore a (temporary) immigrant's experience in America.
    Man in the Dark by Paul Auster (rjuris)

English (144)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (150)
I ran out of gas about halfway through. The writing is very good and the story and setting are interesting, but I can't read another book about a rich white guy's problems, especially when I have to read about his unsatisfying sexual experiences and his marriage on the rocks (from his perspective). Sorry,book, it's not you, it's me. I may come back to it.
  Sunita_p | Apr 25, 2021 |
Started off promisingly, and the first third was really good. But then it started getting excessively verbose and self important like the author just wanted to say lots of his important thoughts without caring how they derailed the story and spoilt it.
The first half has a really know nice feeling to it. Then it got annoyingly smug. it also seemed to have lots of unnecessary details added just incase the reader was too stupid to pick up on what was also more subtly implied by the writing.
I'm annoyed with this book, that it was so promising and then such a let down. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
This book, for me, was basically the reading equivalent of watching a cricket match. It might make sense to someone, but that someone is not me. If I wasn't reading this for book discussion, I definitely wouldn't have finished it. ( )
  photonegative | Jan 5, 2021 |
Some truly beautiful language, but a boring plot. ( )
  captainsunbeam | Oct 16, 2020 |
DNF ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
added by AAGP | editSlate Audio Book Club (Jul 16, 2008)

...the narrative is unwieldily organised, the supporting characters are underdeveloped and the dialogue is often pretty bad....

The biggest problem, though, is Hans himself. In addition to being much less interesting than Chuck, he tells the story in a determinedly overambitious style....

O'Neill's take on the notion of the American dream is both unsentimental and cleverly attuned to that notion's grip on the local imagination. Perhaps stories of striving immigrants and America's ambiguous promise speak to New York reviewers on frequencies inaudible to outsiders. O'Neill has said that he wrote the book as "an American novel ... My first novel as an American novelist", and in this respect, he seems to have succeeded.

Netherland has been described variously as a "post-colonial" and a "Great American" novel. But this beguilingly subtle work transcends old geographical, political and temporal confinements as it renders the strange mutations, partial visions and bewilderments of our globalised world.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardain, Pankaj Mishra (Jun 6, 2008)

Despite cricket’s seeming irrelevance to America, the game makes his exquisitely written novel “Netherland” a large fictional achievement, and one of the most remarkable post-colonial books I have ever read.
added by zhejw | editThe New Yorker, James Wood (May 26, 2008)

...the wittiest, angriest, most exacting and most desolate work of fiction we’ve yet had about life in New York and London after the World Trade Center fell. On a micro level, it’s about a couple and their young son living in Lower Manhattan when the planes hit, and about the event’s rippling emotional aftermath in their lives. On a macro level, it’s about nearly everything: family, politics, identity. I devoured it in three thirsty gulps, gulps that satisfied a craving I didn’t know I had.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Dwight Garner (May 18, 2008)

O'Neill, Josephprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leistra, AukeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I dream'd in a dream, I saw a city invincible to the attacks of the whole of the rest of the earth;

I dream'd that was the new City of Friends.

Whitman
To Sally
The afternoon before I left London for New York - Rachel had flown out six weeks previously - I was in my cubicle at work, boxing up my possessions, when a senior vice president at the bank, an Englishman in his fifties, came to wish me well.

Hans et Rachel vivent à New York avec leur jeune fils lorsque surviennent les attentats du 11 Septembre. Quelque jours plus tard , ils se séparent , et Hans se retrouvent seul , perdu dan Manhatatn , où il ne ent plus chez lui . Sur des terrains de fortune Hans tente d'echapper à la mélancolie . Ce très beau livre , souvent compare à Gatsby le Magnifique , est à la fois une parabole sur la findu rêve américain et un roman d'amour aux résonances poignantes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,854,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible