Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and…

Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Book 2) by Tad Williams… (1990)

Series: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn {Tad Williams} (2), Osten Ard {Tad Williams} ((Memory, Sorrow & Thorn 2) 2)

4,199342,377 (4.01)1 / 104
In Osten Ard, the evil of the Storm King covers the land, the country is riven by war, and nature, unbalanced by the tide of evil, slips into a permanent winter. Simon, once a kitchen boy, now a hero hiding in the troll stronghold of Yiquanuc, has prophetic dreams ... only he and his companions can save the land, but to do this he must embark on the second part of his quest ... to the Stone of Farewell.… (more)
Member:Books-And-Degrees
Title:Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Book 2) by Tad Williams (1991-08-06)
Authors:
Info:DAW; edition (1991-08-06)

Work Information

Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams (1990)

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
Summary: Another solid volume of enjoyable fantasy fair. Nothing too bad and occassionally really good bits. But it's only half way through the story and I'm not sure I have another 1600 pages in me.

Standout feature: The scene where something is scratching at the door ...

Things I liked:

Atmospheric writing the scene where Rachel is hearing something scratching at the door but is afraid to open it. Makes me think Mr Williams is very good at doing little bits of atmospheric writing (reminds me of the bit in book one where simon is heading into the dungeons of hayholt).

Alien race written well: In this book I think he did some great work in illustrating the very different outlook the Sithi have one the world and differentiating one set of humanoids from another. This is often a challenge in the overly cliched fantasy genre so well done on that.

Things I think could have been improved:

Villains seem to do quite a bit of bwhahahhaha exposition. 'Your all doomed anyway so I'll tell you 15% of my evil plan' - e.g. 'Even now in the south one of your closest allies has been killed'. Seems a bit clumsy to me.

Story/plot ratio: I've read two fairly large books now and so far: i) I know the difference between the various characters; ii) I get the impression something is definately 'rotten in the state of denmark'. But substantially it feels like not a lot of the plot has been revealed and not a lot has really happened. It still feels very much like the pieces are being setup before the game. The reason this is a problem is that I'm not sure if I have another two books in me so the setup may have cost me the resolution.

benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
-unfortunately boring after the stunning first book, disappointment
6,5/10 ( )
  Mandalor | Jun 21, 2022 |
Nokkuð klassísk fantasía. Hópurinn sem hefur verið kynntur til sögunnar dreifist nokkuð og dreifist um heiminn ýmist í leiðöngrum eða á flótta. Við kynnumst betur menningu og sögu tröllanna og Sithi-álfanna en að öðru leyti er sagan nokkuð hæg. Margir frægir fantasíuhöfundar hafa vísað til þessarar söguþrenningar sem hafði mikil áhrif á skrif þeirra. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Book 2 of the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy. In this one, the maturing Simon stays with Prince Josua on the trek to find somewhere safe for those remaining attached to the Prince. Miriamele, ever headstrong ends up on her own in dire straits, Josua's brother Elias continues to disintegrate. Ineluki, in the far North the evil unbeing former Sithi schemes away with the help of his mother to destroy pretty much everything. In short, the plot thickens. The strengths of the saga are in the slow but steady development of the main characters, the young ones especially, but also Josua and those around him. Few characters on the side of the angels, as it were, are static--not even the Sithi. On the whole it is a balanced work, with plenty going on. I'm happy to continue. **** ( )
  sibylline | Feb 21, 2021 |
Stone of Farewell didn't quite live up to the foundation set in Dragonbone Chair. I think mostly because towards the end Williams realized there was no way the rest of the story could fit into a reasonably-sized third book. There is evidence of revision throughout to try to cram more into this volume instead. In the end I think Williams realized there was no way to rework the plot in the way he wanted.

That said, this volume started to hint at deviation from Tolkien's philosophy and themes. Dragonbone Chair had a fairly dark atmosphere, but this ratchets that feeling up. There are particular tragic experiences the characters undergo that definitely don't belong in Tolkien, at least not minus some silver lining like they're presented here. On the whole, however, this book isn't a huge downer. There are hints at Robin Hobb-like character torture, but things still end up relatively happy, with promise for the future. In hindsight though, it's amazing to think how much more of this story is contained in the third volume. ( )
  yorga2020 | Aug 30, 2020 |

Tad Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wincott, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . Of all the many changing things

In dreary dancying past us whirled,

To the cracked tune that Chronos sings,

Words alone are certain good.

Where are now the warring kings,

Word be-mockers?—By the Rood,

Where are not the warring kings?

An idle word is now their glory,

By the stammering scholboy said,

Reading some entangled story:

The kings of the old time are dead;

The wandering earth herself may be

Only a sudden flaming word,

In clanging space a moment heard,

Troubling the endless reverie.

—William Butler Yeats
  (from The Song of the Happy Shepherd)

This series is dedicated to my mother, Barbara Jean Evans, who taught to me a deep affection for Tad Hall, the Hundred Aker Woods, the Shire, and many other hidden places and countries beyond the fields we know. She also induced in me a lifelong desire to make my own discoveries, and to share them with others. I wish to share these books. with her.
Even in the cave, where the crackling fire sent gray fingers of smoke up to the hole in the stony roof, and red light played across the wall carvings of twining serpents and tusked, staring-eyed beasts, the cold still gnawed at Simon's bones.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,065,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible