Geek Love: A Novel by Katherine Dunn

Geek Love: A Novel (original 1989; edition 2002)

by Katherine Dunn (Author)

Aloysious and Lillian Binewski, proprietors of a traveling carnival, attempt to reduce overhead by breeding their own freak show, with tragic results.
Member:jennamozingo
Title:Geek Love: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Dunn (Author)
Info:Vintage (2002), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Favorites
Rating:*****

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (1989)

Recently added byAntiqueRoman, private library, jphastings, FusionLF, SugarThief, stilettofoxx, sarahbhammock

English (151)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (153)
A good book, but very disquieting ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
This books seems like what Madeleine Is Sleeping wanted to be, which makes me a little surprised since both were National Book Award finalists and so much alike (15 years amnesia?). I'm glad my friend recommended it after giving her my dissatisfied synopsis of MIS because I had always heard the title and thought it sounded like chick lit about nerds. Ohhhh yeah...that other definition of geek. And in fact, I enjoyed it much more than MIS, but in the world of Goodreads stars, I guess I only think of it as one notch above. It was good enough. The writing was almost where I wanted it to be in relating the extravagant world of carnies--it was descriptive enough, although there were times I wouldn't have minded being completely devoured by sensory overload (which I wouldn't think is too hard to do with this subject matter). I loved the whole notion of deciding what makes a freak and what makes a norm. I often found myself wondering whether I loved or despised Oly...mainly finding the differences relied on whether it was the present ( ) or the past (-) (side note--she seems a lot like Claw-claw-Claudius a la I, Claudius during her youth; anyone else think so?). But I often felt that the novel as a whole was just shy of "enough." It is rife with suspensful moments, but they always seemed to feel isolated. I would eat up a particular scene and then felt like I had to put in my time to hike to the next spetacular or horrific occurence. I wanted to be hooked on how the heck Arty's maleficence would eventually explode, but I couldn't quite get there. I had fun reading about it, I would sometimes shudder at it, but I never feared it and I kinda wanted to. Ah well. Like I said. Good enough. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I hated this and couldnt force myself to finish even on audio. The fact that the mother chose to give her kids deformities just doesnt sit well. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Jun 8, 2021 |
Strange. Repulsive. Disturbing. I do not love this book, but I do not entirely hate it. Despite the schizophrenic change in perspective throughout the book and the loathsome plot line, I did finish it. Every fiber in me was screaming at me to stop the book . . . I just couldn't listen, something in this sordid tale intrigued me and pushed me forward. Perhaps I was rooting for the few characters who I felt really, really bad for (Chick, the twins, and Miranda). Sadly, though, the "freaks" win out and boy are they awful- not because of their deformities. Their insides are rotten. I would not recommend the book, even if some sections read like poetry. In fact the prose is often weighed down by the author's "flowery" language. Good luck to any who opens this one. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
We are talking literal side-show geeks in this tragedy. A new volume has to be opened on the child abuse literature to contain the brutal fantasies which are the core of this dysfunctional and abusive family drama which consumes 3 generations leaving the barest fragments left to confront other monsters. Compellingly told but deserving of the wide varieties of responses it illicits elicits. ( )
  quondame | Mar 9, 2021 |
Als untalentiertestes von fünf Wunderkindern aufzuwachsen ist nicht leicht. Als kleinwüchsige, bucklige Albina das gewöhnlichste von fünf Kindern zu sein, ist wohl mehr als nur „nicht leicht“. Binewskis. Zerfall einer radioaktiven Familie ist nicht nur die Geschichte einer Familie, die sich spektakulär von innen heraus zersetzt, sondern ein Roman, der ganz unauffällig wichtige Fragen an die moderne Gesellschaft stellt.

Katherine Dunnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mailhos, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mustieles, JordiTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This thing of darkness I Acknowledge mine.
—Prospero, The Tempest 5.1.275–6
For Eli Malachy Dunn Dapolonia
"When your mama was the geek, my dreamlets," Papa would say, "she made the nipping off of noggins such a crystal mystery that the hens themselves yearned toward her, waltzing around her, hypnotized with longing."
It’s interesting that when these individuals choose--and it is their choice always--to endure voluntary amputations for their own personal benefit, society professes itself shocked and disapproving. Yet this same society respects the concept that any individual should risk total annihilation in war, subject to the judgment of any superior officer at all and for the purposes ranging from a promotion for the lieutenant to higher profits for the bullet company. Hell, they don’t just respect that idea, they flat expect it. And they’ll shoot your ass if you don’t go along with it. (Arty)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,581,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible