Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Scaramouche (original 1921; edition 2013)

by Rafael Sabatini

Series: Scaramouche (1)

The passionate Andre-Louis Moreau makes an unexpected entrance into the French Revolution when he vows to avenge his best friend's death. His target: Monsieur de La Tour d'Azyr, the aristocratic villain who killed his friend. Andre-Louis rallies the underclass to join him in his mission against the supreme power of the nobility. Soon the rebel leader must go underground, disguising himself as "Scaramouche" in a traveling group of actors. In the midst of his swashbuckling adventures and his country's revolution, he discovers the secret of his own identity.… (more)
Member:aarti
Title:Scaramouche
Authors:Rafael Sabatini
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2013), Paperback, 318 pages
Tags:E-Book, Historical Fiction, France, 18th Century, French Revolution, Adventure, 2013

Work Information

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (1921)

English (46)  French (1)  All languages (47)
4.5 Stars.

As usual, my relationship with Scaramouche takes a rather circular route. I first heard of it from a friend who had taken up fencing and had picked up the 1952 film with Stewart Granger which has one of the longest duels in movie history on screen. I brushed the recommendation aside until I went through my Mel Ferrer stage (which I reached via Audrey Hepburn and War & Peace). Then I gladly picked up the film and found it ambitious but slightly miscast (except in the vivid Eleanor Parker who, in my opinion, never quite manages to remain on the screen).

Then, in my Errol Flynn days, I read Captain Blood and loved how the adventure leaped off the page. Sabatini being a bit of a different style than my current literary diet, I determined to try another swashbuckler and dove in.

He didn't disappoint-- until I realized that Parker's character didn't really exist. But the improvement upon Granger's portrayal made up for it. (I really think Flynn would have been better-- had it been filmed in the 40s). * The sly digs, the puns, and smart remarks were all worthy of a modern action film and make Sabatini someone I would love to revisit.

* Aside-- I really think Granger should have been rethought as a stock character. He had potential but kept getting the wrong roles. Also, if you like Parker, try "Voice of the Turtle" with charming pre-presidential Reagan.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Loved this from the beginning, it's very timely in terms of politics and government and the romance subplot added a bit of light fun. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
Great romp, and a painless way to find out some of the politics of the French Revolution. ( )
  annmariegamble | Jan 2, 2021 |
The Librivox recording of this one is very good. ( )
1 vote beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Unexpectedly entertaining read, although I suspect Google Books did not have the best edition (typos, ho!). Neat to see foundational cliches in action. ( )
  RJ_Stevenson | Aug 19, 2020 |

Rafael Sabatiniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornwell, BernardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad.

Once he was André-Louis Moreau, a lawyer raised by nobility, unconcerned with the growing discontent among France’s lower class—until his best friend is mercilessly struck down by a member of the aristocracy.

Now, he is Scaramouche. Speaking out against the unjust French Government, he takes refuge with a nomadic band of acting improvisers where he assumes the role of Scaramouche The Clown—a comic figure with a very serious message...

Set during the French Revolution, this novel of swashbuckling romance is also a thought-provoking commentary on class, inequality, and the individual’s role in society—a story that has become Rafael Sabatini’s enduring legacy.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,723,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible