The Aspern Papers and Other Stories (Oxford…

The Aspern Papers and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) (edition 2009)

by Henry James, Adrian Poole (Editor)

Member:nohrt4me2
Title:The Aspern Papers and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Henry James
Other authors:Adrian Poole (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2009), Paperback, 254 pages

The Aspern Papers, and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) by Henry James

Sugar and Other Stories by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The story "Precipice-encurled" refers to "The Aspern Papers"

Read during Fall 2004

I will freely admit to not really being smart enough to read Henry James and get every last bit of it but I did make my way through these four stories and mostly got something out of them. 'The Private Life' was completely baffling but I found 'The Aspern Papers' and 'The Death of the Lion' highly enjoyable.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
One of my favorite novels is "The Portrait of a Lady," by Henry James. In fact, I've never really read anything by James I didn't like. "The Aspern Papers" is no exception--except I didn't read it, I heard it.

My first audio book!

Read the rest of the review at http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-learn-that-henry-james-is-funny.html ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Sep 1, 2011 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Poole, AdrianEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Aspern papers -- The private life -- The middle life -- The death of the lion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192836161, Paperback)

An American editor with an enthusiasm for the works of Jeffrey Aspern, a romantic poet of the early 19th century, goes to Venice to acquire the letters that Aspern wrote to his mistress, a Miss Bordereau, whom he called "Juliana." Under an assumed name he rents a suite in the ancient palace where she lives in poverty and seclusion with her niece, Miss Tina. He finds that the old lady is shrewd and haughty and accepts him as a lodger only to put aside money for the future of Miss Tina, a timid, unattractive spinster much in awe of her aunt. During his residence with them, the editor wins the friendship of Miss Tina, to whom he reveals his mission. Leaving Venice for a fortnight, he returns to find that Miss Bordereau has died. Miss Tina, who is clearly in love, welcomes him expectantly, but confesses that she could only give him the papers if he were "a relative."

In addition to "The Aspern Papers," this collection contains "The Private Life," "The Middle Years," and "The Death of the Lion," as well as prefaces by Henry James, a chronology of his life, and editor's notes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:48 -0400)

An unscrupulous critic, determined to get his hands on the private papers of a great poet, finds himself duelling with the grim old lady who was once the poet's mistress and muse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,165,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible