James and the Giant Peach (1961)

by Roald Dahl

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.
1960s (57)
to get (10)

English (332)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (339)
This a great read and I can see why it is so popular.
  rehanasarwar617 | Sep 10, 2022 |
The last time I read this book, I was in elementary school.... so give or take 20 years ago. For Christmas, I got my boys a Roald Dahl collection due to the wonderful memories I had as a kid.

Reading this outloud was a wonderful and cherishing experience with my kids. They loved the adventure, the characters, and the giant peach. My oldest (who is seven and thinks that it's against physics for seagulls to fly the peach) begged me to read the last 10 chapters in one go. A great story to read again as an adult. There are a few "ass" spoken from the Centipede, but we all know he a pest. It fits with his character. So keep that in mind if you have qualms of language in children's novels.

Once finished, I told them that there was a movie of the novel. The light in their eyes was blindingly bright. Tomorrow, we'll watch the wonderful rendition Tim Burton did of the novel. I'm so excited to start the next book to them: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. ( )
  JumpyDr4gon | Aug 10, 2022 |
I loved this book when my dad read it to me. And then I grew up and read it myself and HOLY CRAP, ROALD DAHL WAS INSANE. There are giant bugs! It was so gross. And the cloud people, they were scary. ( )
  tanaise | Jul 17, 2022 |
I re-read this via the read-a-long with Taika Waititi (and friends) on YouTube. It's not my favourite Roald Dahl book but the different actors reading it made it a lot more fun than I remember. It's still best as a stop-motion animated film though. ( )
  brittaniethekid | Jul 7, 2022 |

Rhind-Tutt, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,732,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible