Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson

Lighthousekeeping (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jeanette Winterson

Member:KevinJump
Title:Lighthousekeeping
Authors:Jeanette Winterson
Info:Fourth Estate (2004), Edition: First U.S. Edition, first Printing, Hardcover, 240 pages

Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson (2004)

English (43)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All (50)
Romanzo non convenzionale, non ha un inizio, nè una parte centrale, nè una fine. Le storie che l'autrice racconta, delicate come la schiuma del mare, si intrecciano come le onde sulla battigia. Il lettore intuisce quello che accade, stranamente è il passato a essere più definito, mentre il presente è ancora troppo vicino per essere messo a fuoco.
E' un libro da leggere e rileggere, con una matita in mano, per catturare le piccole perle che l'autrice regala. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
The story of Silver a girl left orphaned to a lighthouse keeper is fantastical and yet sweet. The almost stream of consciousness way the story is written actually works quite well. I think the magical realism isn't over the top and gives a lovely feeling to the book. I look forward to reading more of Winterson after this. ( )
1 vote SadieRuin | Jul 10, 2017 |
My rating is a 3.5 that weighs towards 4 because I don't think I find this book especially memorable, but it was a dream to read. There's a great simplicity to it, even with a multiplicity of stories occurring. There's a great amount of beauty to it, to the images of the lighthouse interior frozen in time, to the house leaning from the cliff and the leaning pets and people in it, to the seaside towns and the sun glimmering off the water and ghostly ships and sailboats. I love the sea (whenever I say that I think, who doesn't?, but there must be some who are unaffected), I like being near or on open water, and this book captures whatever it is about bodies of water--openness, depth, the unknowable, the unfathomable. How much of the sea is conjecture, because how much is unexplained and undiscovered? How much is the sea a story we tell each other over and over?

I've been complaining frequently about being let down by language, thirsting for something that I keep expecting to find in particular books. It exists here, at last. There are ways in which Winterson is sparse and oblique (short sentences, brief pages, this book should be even slimmer than it looks), but without sacrificing the richness of her writing. (I'm still unsatisfied, though. I still crave more.) ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
her writing is so intelligent and gossamery. i tend to acutely feel i wish i were smarter when i read winterson. i know i've missed references and depth to this one, but still found it mostly captivating. and so many passages just beautiful.

"It was a long story, and like most of the stories in the world, never finished. There was an ending - there always is - but the story went on past the ending - it always does."

"Like and like go together. Likeness is liking, whatever they say about opposites."

"I had no idea where to look, or what I was looking for, but I know now that all the important journeys start that way."

"Tell me a story, Pew.
What kind of story, child?
A story with a happy ending.
There's no such thing in all the world.
As a happy ending?
As an ending."

"Psychosis: out of touch with reality.
Since then, I have been trying to find out what reality is, so that I can touch it."

"I unlatched the shutters. The light was as intense as a love affair. I was blinded, delighted, not just because it was warm and wonderful, but because nature measures nothing. Nobody needs this much sunlight. Nobody needs droughts, volcanoes, monsoons, tornadoes either, but we get them, because our world is as extravagant as a world can be. We are the ones obsessed by measurement. The world just pours it out."

"I went outside, tripping over slabs of sunshine the size of towns. The sun was like a crowd of people, it was a party, it was music. The sun was blaring through the walls of the houses and beating them down the steps. The sun was drumming time into the stone. The sun was rhythming the day." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jul 3, 2016 |
Rather odd & yet lyrical writing.

Silver was born of a father from the sea and orphaned early on. Silver & his dog are sent to live in the lighthouse with Old Pew, who is blind.... Eventually Pew opens up and tells the stories of the lighthouse & its founder that have been stored away in his memory. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Muriel Spark
Remember you must live.

Ali Smith
For Deborah Warner
My mother called me Silver.
There is so little of life, and it is fraught with chance. We meet, we don’t meet, we take the wrong turning, and still bump into each other. We conscientiously choose the ‘right road’ and it leads nowhere.
There’s a booth in Grand Central Station where you can go and record your life. You talk. It tapes. It’s the modern-day confessional—no priest, just your voice in the silence. What you were, digitally saved for the future. Forty minutes is yours. So what would you say in those forty minutes—what would be your death-bed decisions? What of your life will sink under the waves, and what will be like the lighthouse, calling you home?

Lighthousekeeping tells the tale of Silver ("My mother called me Silver. I was born part precious metal, part pirate."), an orphaned girl who is taken in by blind Mr. Pew, the mysterious and miraculously old keeper of a lighthouse on the Scottish coast. Pew tells Silver stories of Babel Dark, a nineteenth-century clergyman. Dark lived two lives: a public one mired in darkness and deceit and a private one bathed in the light of passionate love. For Silver, Dark's life becomes a map through her own darkness, into her own story, and, finally, into love.

One of the most original and extraordinary writers of her generation, Jeanette Winterson has created a modern fable about the transformative power of storytelling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

"Motherless and anchorless, Silver is taken in by the timeless Mr Pew, keeper of the Cape Wrath lighthouse. Pew tells Silver ancient tales of longing and rootlessness, of ties that bind and of the slippages that occur throughout every life. One life, Babel Dark's, a nineteenth century clergyman, opens like a map that Silver must follow. Caught in her own particular darknesses, she embarks on an Ulyssean sift through the stories we tell ourselves, stories of love and loss, of passion and longing, stories of unending journeys that move through places and times, and the bleak finality of the shores of betrayal."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,414,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible