The Game (King, Laurie R) by Laurie R. King

The Game (King, Laurie R) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Laurie R. King

Member:Topsy
Title:The Game (King, Laurie R)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2004), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:fiction, comfort reading, mystery, Sherlock Holmes, at home

The Game by Laurie R. King (2004)

Recently added byrena75, naomigrace1, spfancuff, sarah4uk

My journey to find a good British mystery series has led me to the stories of Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell, his student and wife, by Laurie R. King. I will not hide the fact that I was extremely sceptical at first. I mean, Sherlock having a wife other than The Woman a.k.a. Irene Adler? Preposterous! How could that have happened? I am not the most open-minded person when it comes to retellings of any kind. Especially when we're talking about Shakespeare, Jane Austen and Arthur Conan Doyle. Yes, I adore the BBC Sherlock, but it took me two seasons to be convinced. Dont't start me on Elementary though, because the rant button will be triggered to no end. So, taking all these prejudices of mine into consideration, I took my time and read as many reviews as I could about the series. Just to be on the safe side...

I had a great difficulty in finding the previous installments, so I started with the only one that was available at the time, The Game. I enjoyed it very much, plain and simple. I will not bore you with plot details. However, I must stress that the setting of the story - India during the turbulent period of the 1920's- was a major plus. It made for an exotic read. The descriptions were vivid and rich. In fact, they were so detailed that they ended up becoming seriously tedious after a point, especially when I wanted the story to move forward. I don't need to know every single detail of decoration or dresses or plants. This was a major fault, in my opinion. A fault that continued all through the book. It was too wordy, too descriptive, and even the dialogue itself was tiring at times, although faithful to the era depicted.

Mary Russell is a very interesting character. She is clever and kind, but not obnoxious, and patient enough to deal with her genius of a husband. She is a worthy companion to Sherlock who - I am glad to say- retains his familiar characteristics. Laurie R. King created a version of Sherlock Holmes that the lifelong reader of Arthur Conan Doyle can connect with. She didn't try to make Mary appear ''smarter'' than him, nor did she make a dogmatic, all-knowing Holmes. She created a worthy couple, equal in intelligence and respect, and that was refreshing. The mystery itself was innovative, although a bit predictable, blending Kipling's Kim in the narration, and finding an equal balance between a world full of superstitions and concepts written in stone and the people who desire their freedom.

The Mary Russell series is nothing earth-shuttering or Booker Prize-worthy, but it is a quality light read with two superb characters. Thankfully, I've found the other books since I bought this one, and I intend to follow the couple's adventures.

P.S. Hey, Elementary ''writers'', pay attention! This is how you create a female companion without making Sherlock appear an idiot! ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes are relaxing from their adventures in Palestine when Mycroft asks them to investigate the disappearance of Kimberly O'Mara--yes, that Kimberly O'Mara, the Kim chronicled by Kipling. They are diverted from that task by the need to investigate possible anti-Empire plans by a Maharajah in a border state. Holmes and Russell move from one disguise and social situation to another, sometimes together, sometimes separately.
  ritaer | Jun 4, 2018 |
It's the start of 1924, Mycroft Holmes, invites Sherlock and his wife, Mary Russell, to come to London. The government has recently gone through some changes, and it wants to investigate the disappearance of Kimball O’Mara. When last heard from, Kimball had been in India, where some British agents have been murdered and there is a concern about the rising influence of the Communists. Mycroft asks Shelock and Mary to travel to India to learn what they can about what's happening there and also try to find Kimball.

This book is an adventure with a little bit of history thrown in for context, which makes it an entertaining read. The author has a way of writing characters that are accurate to the time period that she is writing about instead of forcing them to be more modern. ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
enough with this series......... ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the librarians everywhere, who spend their lives in battle against the forces of darkness.
It was a dramatic setting for a human sacrifice, give my murderer credit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553583387, Mass Market Paperback)

Laurie R. King’s bestselling mystery series featuring Mary Russell and her husband and partner, Sherlock Holmes, is beloved by readers and acclaimed by critics the world over. Now the illustrious duo returns for their most dangerous exploit yet, in a rich and atmospheric tale that takes them to India to save the life of one of literature’s most fabled heroes.

It’s the second day of the new year, 1924, and Mary Russell is settling in for a much-needed rest with her husband, Sherlock Holmes. But the fragile peace will be fleeting—for a visit with Holmes’s gravely ill brother, Mycroft, brings news of an intrigue that is sure to halt their respite. Mycroft, who has ties to the highest levels of the government, has just received a strange package. The oilskin-wrapped packet contains the papers of a missing English spy named Kimball O’Hara—indeed, the same Kimball who served as the inspiration for Rudyard Kipling’s famed Kim.
An orphaned English boy turned loose in India, Kim long used his cunning to spy for the Crown. But after inexplicably withdrawing from the “Great Game” of border espionage, he’s gone missing and is feared taken hostage—or even killed.

When Russell learns of Holmes’s own secret friendship with Kim some thirty years before, she knows the die is cast: she will accompany her husband to India to search for the missing operative. But even before they arrive, danger will show its face in everything from a suspicious passenger on board their steamer to an “accident” that very nearly claims their lives. Once in India, Russell and Holmes must travel incognito—no small task for the English lady and her lanky companion. But after a twist of fate forces the couple to part ways, Russell learns that in this faraway place it’s often impossible to tell friend from foe—and that some games must be played out until their deadly end.

Showcasing King’s masterful plotting and skill at making history leap from the page, The Game brings alive an India fraught with unrest and poised for change—and an unpredictable mystery with brilliance and character to match.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

"It's the second day of the new year, 1924, and Mary Russell is settling in for a much-needed rest with her husband, Sherlock Holmes. But the fragile peace will be fleeting - for a visit with Holmes's gravely ill brother, Mycroft, brings new of an intrigue that is sure to halt their respite." "Mycroft, who has ties to the highest levels of the government, has just received a strange package. The oilskin-wrapped packet contains the papers of a missing English spy named Kimball O'Hara - indeed, the same Kimball who served as the inspiration for Rudyard Kipling's famed Kim. An orphaned English boy turned loose in India, Kim long used his cunning to spy for the Crown. But after inexplicably withdrawing from the "Great Game" of border espionage, he's gone missing and is feared taken hostage - or even killed." "When Russell learns of Holmes' own secret friendship with Kim some thirty years before, she knows the die is cast: she will accompany her husband to India to search for the missing operative. But even before they arrive, danger will show its face in everything from a suspicious passenger on board their steamer to an "accident" that very nearly claims their lives." "Once in India, Russell and Holmes must travel incognito - no small task for the English lady and her lanky companion. But after a twist of fate forces the couple to part ways, Russell learns that in this faraway place it's often impossible to tell friend from foe - and that some games must be played out until their deadly end."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,661,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible