dismiss

The High House (1998)

by James Stoddard

Carter Anderson's father is the Master of the High House, a mystical dwelling filled with twisting corridors, magical books, and secret passageways. As Master, his father maintains not only the High House, but the world, keeping it safe from evil. Mr. Anderson sends Carter away for his own safety; but when Carter returns, he finds that the House's worst enemies have invaded--and his father is nowhere to be found.… (more)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: Both books have a wonderfully eerie claustrophobic mythic fantasy otherworld through which the hero/heroines must journey. And both are five star books. High House predates Neverwhere.

I cannot believe I had this treasure sitting my my bookshelf for almost 20 years before reading it. It is high fantasy in the tradition of Tolkeien an C.S. Lewis. It has all the elements that make great fantasy, lots of adventure, danger, battles between good and evil, and a completely unique look at the universe. ( )
  marysneedle | Dec 21, 2014 |
Recommended by that sympathetic intelligence known as "withywindle." And, appropriately, a book in which I felt at home. So many elements and echoes of things that are dear to me -- the complexities of internal spaces, large houses (especially when one is small), flashes of George MacDonald, and David Lindsey, snatches of poets I like (Marvell, Stevenson). I am not sure that someone who brought a different taste to it would like it as much as I did. The prose style, like the plot, will not be universally compelling. But I was compelled, and felt I had a friend in the author.

"This is the room of horrors. You will never leave it" ( )
  ben_a | Oct 21, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,060,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible