Beastly

by Alex Flinn

Series: Kendra Chronicles (1)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

English (275)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (281)
I love this young adult retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The way the young man loves his girlfriend (the beauty who can save him) after he finds her is just so sweet and charming. All teenage girls should be treated as sweetly and well. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this very light-hearted read. I thought it was fun seeing how to turn the fairytale into a contemporary teen romance story. It was cute, is the best way to describe it. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
Beauty and the Beast with a bit of modern-day magic.

Kyle Kingsbury has spent his whole life believing that looks are everything — and he has looks! That is until he pisses off an actual witch and she curses him into a hairy fanged beast. Now he’s living as a recluse with only a housekeeper and a blind tutor for company, and a rose garden to keep him busy. And then Lindy enters his life.

This is one of the few retellings I’ve read that is told entirely from the Beast’s POV. It actually takes until halfway through the book before he meets his Beauty, so you get to see quite a bit of character development take place before that point, which is nice. It’s not my favourite retelling, but it’s far from the worst. ( )
  vvbooklady | Dec 4, 2021 |
It was a good, modern re-telling. I liked Kyle, but didn't really connect with Lindy. I thought all the similarities with the original fairytale was very well done and clever. The reason I gave it only 3 stars is because I couldn't get into a romance with a beast. It has nothing to do with the writing, which I liked. I was never a huge fan of the fairytale, but heard great things about the novel.

I did read it in one day though....lol so I guess I did like it more than I thought. ( )
  ElizaTilton | Nov 5, 2021 |
This is a good story. It modernizes the Beauty and the Beast story. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,744,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible