dismiss

My Life (2004)

by Bill Clinton

The former president looks back on his life and career, discussing his youth and education, his early public service, his years as governor of Arkansas, and his accomplishments during two terms in the White House.

English (48)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (51)
I listened to this book read by President Clinton. He skirts a few issues regarding women, but admits to Monica Lewinsky. Interesting.
  taurus27 | Feb 9, 2020 |
I'm a Clinton fan. I gave this three stars because this book is more like his speech to the Democratic convention in '88 than his speech to the convention in '2012. ( )
  Robert_Musil | Dec 15, 2019 |
I finally got around to reading Bill Clinton's memoir MY LIFE. As you might expect it was too long, too wordy and too detailed. Since he wrote it it makes him look good, much of which isn't warranted. But there are enough interesting things to make it worth reading. But a caveat, one must read BECAUSE HE CAN by Dick Morris as a companion to Clinton's memoirs. Morris tells it like it was. When Clinton fails by omitting significant facts and details, Morris fills in. Morris calls him on many things. That is why I say you need to read them together. Morris' book is also an interesting read and necessary to keep the record honest. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Mar 5, 2017 |
Good memoir from the great life he has had. I hope he doesn't have to extend it to cover four more years... Go Donny ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
What is great about this book is the stories he tells about family, friends and neighbors. I liked learning about the books he read throughout his life. I learned that many of the people he met throughout his life would play apart later in his life. He did a lot of networking. A lot of stories. ( )
  foof2you | May 9, 2016 |
There are at least two good reasons to read Bill Clinton's imaginatively titled new memoir, "My Life." For one thing, you're probably in it somewhere. Everybody else is, from Hank Aaron to Gennady Zyuganov to the guy designing dioramas for Clinton's presidential library.

Another reason to read "My Life" is that it's a genuinely good and useful book.

Mr. Clinton's book is a double flop: Either stake your claim to join the guys on Mount Rushmore or embrace your destiny as a guy who rushes to mount more. The president does neither and winds up with a book that reads like the world's biggest Rolodex punctuated by self-doubt.

The book, which weighs in at more than 950 pages, is sloppy, self-indulgent and often eye-crossingly dull -- the sound of one man prattling away, not for the reader, but for himself and some distant recording angel of history.

Like its author, Bill Clinton's autobiography My Life is a big, sprawling jumble. Parts of it, as a waspish television commentator observed, read like a press-cutting book, or one of those school magazines in which everyone in the class has to be mentioned.

To my mother, who gave me a love of life

To Hillary, who gave me a life of love

To Chelsea, who gave joy and meaning to it all

And to the memory of my grandfather, who taught me to look up to people others looked down on, because we're not so different after all
When I was a young man just out of law school and eager to get on with my life, on a whim I briefly put aside my reading preference for fiction and history and bought one of those how-to books: How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life, by Alan Lakein.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,003,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible