My Life (2004)

by Bill Clinton

President Bill Clinton's My Life is the strikingly candid portrait of a global leader who decided in early life to devote his intellectual and political gifts, and his extraordinary capacity for hard work, to serving the public. It is the fullest, most concretely detailed, most nuanced account of a presidency ever written, and a testament to the positive impact on America and on the world of his work and his ideals. Here is the life of a great national and international figure, revealed with all his talents and contradictions. Filled with fascinating moments and insights, it is told openly, directly, in President Clinton's completely recognizable voice… (more)
    Because He Could by Dick Morris (Cecrow)
    The Untold History of the United States by Oliver Stone (PlaidStallion)
    PlaidStallion: They say he is one of the most popular presidents of all time. From Stone and Kusnick’s book:

The Democrats’ euphoria over capturing the White House proved short-lived. Republicans weakened Clinton out of the gate by blocking his attempt to secure the open admission of gays into the military, but the much more telling blow would be struck in defeating his plan to overhaul the health care system. Among advanced industrial countries, only the United States and apartheid South Africa lacked a national health care system. The Republicans and their business allies spent $50 million to frighten the American public and deny health care coverage to tens of millions of citizens. Richard Armey, chair of the House Republican Conference, prepared for what he called “the most important domestic policy debate of the past half century . . . the Battle of the Bulge of big government liberalism.” Armey believed, “The failure of the Clinton plan will...leave the President’s agenda weakened, his . . . supporters demoralized, and the opposition emboldened. Our market-oriented ideas will suddenly become thinkable, not just on health care, but on a host of issues. ... Historians may mark it as . . . the start of the Republican renaissance.”

The 1994 midterm elections gave Republicans control of both branches of Congress for the first time in forty years. Both parties lurched further to the right. Succumbing to conservative pressure, Clinton ended Aid to Families with Dependent Children, which had helped poor families since the Great Depression, and supported a war on drugs and tough-on-crime legislation. The U.S. prison population exploded from a half million in 1980 to 2 million twenty years later. Forty-five percent of those incarcerated were African American, and 15 percent were Hispanic.
    … (more)

English (50)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (53)
Boring, tedious, doesn't talk about what you want it to talk about. ( )
  bishnu83 | Apr 6, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I listened to this book read by President Clinton. He skirts a few issues regarding women, but admits to Monica Lewinsky. Interesting.
  taurus27 | Feb 9, 2020 |
I'm a Clinton fan. I gave this three stars because this book is more like his speech to the Democratic convention in '88 than his speech to the convention in '2012. ( )
  Robert_Musil | Dec 15, 2019 |
I finally got around to reading Bill Clinton's memoir MY LIFE. As you might expect it was too long, too wordy and too detailed. Since he wrote it it makes him look good, much of which isn't warranted. But there are enough interesting things to make it worth reading. But a caveat, one must read BECAUSE HE CAN by Dick Morris as a companion to Clinton's memoirs. Morris tells it like it was. When Clinton fails by omitting significant facts and details, Morris fills in. Morris calls him on many things. That is why I say you need to read them together. Morris' book is also an interesting read and necessary to keep the record honest. ( )
1 vote SigmundFraud | Mar 5, 2017 |
There are at least two good reasons to read Bill Clinton's imaginatively titled new memoir, "My Life." For one thing, you're probably in it somewhere. Everybody else is, from Hank Aaron to Gennady Zyuganov to the guy designing dioramas for Clinton's presidential library.

Another reason to read "My Life" is that it's a genuinely good and useful book.

Mr. Clinton's book is a double flop: Either stake your claim to join the guys on Mount Rushmore or embrace your destiny as a guy who rushes to mount more. The president does neither and winds up with a book that reads like the world's biggest Rolodex punctuated by self-doubt.

The book, which weighs in at more than 950 pages, is sloppy, self-indulgent and often eye-crossingly dull -- the sound of one man prattling away, not for the reader, but for himself and some distant recording angel of history.

Like its author, Bill Clinton's autobiography My Life is a big, sprawling jumble. Parts of it, as a waspish television commentator observed, read like a press-cutting book, or one of those school magazines in which everyone in the class has to be mentioned.

To my mother, who gave me a love of life

To Hillary, who gave me a life of love

To Chelsea, who gave joy and meaning to it all

And to the memory of my grandfather, who taught me to look up to people others looked down on, because we're not so different after all
When I was a young man just out of law school and eager to get on with my life, on a whim I briefly put aside my reading preference for fiction and history and bought one of those how-to books: How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life, by Alan Lakein.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,491,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible