My life by Bill Clinton

My life (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Bill Clinton

Member:jimdave
Title:My life
Authors:Bill Clinton
Info:New York: Vintage Books; Random House, Inc., 2005.

My Life by Bill Clinton (2004)

English (46)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Good memoir from the great life he has had. I hope he doesn't have to extend it to cover four more years... Go Donny ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
What is great about this book is the stories he tells about family, friends and neighbors. I liked learning about the books he read throughout his life. I learned that many of the people he met throughout his life would play apart later in his life. He did a lot of networking. A lot of stories. ( )
  foof2you | May 9, 2016 |
Interesting biography of a guy who has led an interesting life. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Remarkable how he was able to overcome his defeat as Governor of Arkansas and win that seat again and then go on to become President of the USA. He was a remarkable politician. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Well I did the audiobook on this one. Mr. Clinton reads it. But the problem with Mr. Clinton reading it, the whole time felt like he was having a pity party. His early life and a lot of his political life was highly interesting. He talked often of how it was them against him. How the republicans wanted to do everything they could so he didn't succeed. He brushed over the Monica thing. It was a brief section that he talked about how his leading separate lives came crashing down at that point. It was a short read and it kept my interest. I was overall please with it. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
There are at least two good reasons to read Bill Clinton's imaginatively titled new memoir, "My Life." For one thing, you're probably in it somewhere. Everybody else is, from Hank Aaron to Gennady Zyuganov to the guy designing dioramas for Clinton's presidential library.

Another reason to read "My Life" is that it's a genuinely good and useful book.

Mr. Clinton's book is a double flop: Either stake your claim to join the guys on Mount Rushmore or embrace your destiny as a guy who rushes to mount more. The president does neither and winds up with a book that reads like the world's biggest Rolodex punctuated by self-doubt.

The book, which weighs in at more than 950 pages, is sloppy, self-indulgent and often eye-crossingly dull -- the sound of one man prattling away, not for the reader, but for himself and some distant recording angel of history.

Like its author, Bill Clinton's autobiography My Life is a big, sprawling jumble. Parts of it, as a waspish television commentator observed, read like a press-cutting book, or one of those school magazines in which everyone in the class has to be mentioned.

To my mother, who gave me a love of life

To Hillary, who gave me a life of love

To Chelsea, who gave joy and meaning to it all

And to the memory of my grandfather, who taught me to look up to people others looked down on, because we're not so different after all
When I was a young man just out of law school and eager to get on with my life, on a whim I briefly put aside my reading preference for fiction and history and bought one of those how-to books: How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life, by Alan Lakein.

Alan Lakein

Jeff Dwire

John Podesta

Kargil War

Roger Clinton, Sr.

Ron Brown (U.S. politician)

Ross Perot

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Second Intifada

Stephen Breyer

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375414576, Hardcover)

An exhaustive, soul-searching memoir, Bill Clinton's My Life is a refreshingly candid look at the former president as a son, brother, teacher, father, husband, and public figure. Clinton painstakingly outlines the history behind his greatest successes and failures, including his dedication to educational and economic reform, his war against a "vast right-wing operation" determined to destroy him, and the "morally indefensible" acts for which he was nearly impeached. My Life is autobiography as therapy--a personal history written by a man trying to face and banish his private demons.

Clinton approaches the story of his youth with gusto, sharing tales of giant watermelons, nine-pound tumors, a charging ram, famous mobsters and jazz musicians, and a BB gun standoff. He offers an equally energetic portrait of American history, pop culture, and the evolving political landscape, covering the historical events that shaped his early years (namely the deaths of Martin Luther King Jr. and JFK) and the events that shaped his presidency (Waco, Bosnia, Somalia). What makes My Life remarkable as a political memoir is how thoroughly it is infused with Clinton's unassuming, charmingly pithy voice:

I learned a lot from the stories my uncle, aunts, and grandparents told me: that no one is perfect but most people are good; that people can't be judged only by their worst or weakest moments; that harsh judgments can make hypocrites of us all; that a lot of life is just showing up and hanging on; that laughter is often the best, and sometimes the only, response to pain.

However, that same voice might tire readers as Clinton applies his penchant for minute details to a distractible laundry list of events, from his youth through the years of his presidency. Not wanting to forget a single detail that might help account for his actions, Clinton overdoes it--do we really need to know the name of his childhood barber? But when Clinton sticks to the meat of his story--recollections about Mother, his abusive stepfather, Hillary, the campaign trail, and Kenneth Starr--the veracity of emotion and Kitchen Confidential-type revelations about "what it is like to be President" make My Life impossible to put down.

To Clinton, "politics is a contact sport," and while he claims that My Life is not intended to make excuses or assign blame, it does portray him as a fighter whose strategy is to "take the first hit, then counterpunch as hard as I could." While My Life is primarily a stroll through Clinton's memories, it is also a scathing rebuke--a retaliation against his detractors, including Kenneth Starr, whose "mindless search for scandal" protected the guilty while "persecuting the innocent" and distracted his Administration from pressing international matters (including strikes on al Qaeda). Counterpunch indeed.

At its core, My Life is a charming and intriguing if flawed book by an equally intriguing and flawed man who had his worst failures and humiliations made public. Ultimately, the man who left office in the shadow of scandal offers an honest and open account of his life, allowing readers to witness his struggle to "drain the most out of every moment" while maintaining the character with which he was raised. It is a remarkably intimate, persuasive look at the boy he was, the President he became, and man he is today. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

The former president looks back on his life and career, discussing his youth and education, his early public service, his years as governor of Arkansas, and his accomplishments during two terms in the White House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,544,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible