The Brass Verdict: A Novel by Michael…

The Brass Verdict: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Michael Connelly (Author)

When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Mickey Haller (of "The Lincoln Lawyer" fame) inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next. Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent's killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.--Jacket.… (more)
Member:Jelgava
Title:The Brass Verdict: A Novel
Authors:Michael Connelly (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: 1, 422 pages

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly (2008)

English (127)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (135)
The Lincoln Lawyer returns in this second book after being shot, getting hooked on painkillers, then doing some time in rehab. Feeling healthier, Mickey is just starting to think about taking on a few cases and facing the courtroom again. Then, he learns an old friend and colleague, Jerry Vincent, who was shot to death in his car, has made him his legal successor, and he suddenly finds he has thirty plus cases to manage. A little nervous, but determined to get his life back, Mickey quickly puts together his team and goes to work. I was happy to find all my favorite characters in this one, including Harry Bosch, Maggie, and Lorna. This legal thriller is filled with court intrigue as Mickey defends a high-profile murder case that twists in and out of his control. Suddenly, things change again, and Mickey finds himself at the mercy of a half-brother he never knew existed. Good writing, excellent plot, and wonderful characters. ( )
  PaulaGalvan | Oct 7, 2020 |
The Brass Verdict is a good story from beginning to end. It takes place today in the Los Angeles area. The Lincoln Lawyer always represents the underbelly of Angelinos. Michael Connelly settled all loose strands and pulled out an ending that was not expected. This is a good book from beginning to end and highly recommended hence the five star rating. ( )
  lbswiener | Aug 8, 2020 |
Wow what a great follow-up to "The Lincoln Lawyer". This book does not have sequel disease thank goodness, it was gripping from beginning to end.

It's been a couple years since the events in "The Lincoln Lawyer" and Mickey Haller has been retired from law for a year. After being shot in the last book his recovery caused him to become addicted to pain pills which led to him almost losing everything. When he's called into a judge's chambers and told that he has inherited a dead lawyer's practice, just like that Haller is back in the saddle again.

So "The Brass Verdict" focuses on Mickey doing what he can for his new clients and finding out that he might have a huge franchise case involving a Hollywood movie producer whose standing accused of murdering his wife and her lover.

Just like in "The Lincoln Lawyer" not all is as it appears and it takes a lot of twists and turns to find out who's truly innocent in this one.

We also get an appearance by another one of Michael Connelly's characters Harry Bosch. Now as many of you know this year I've had a kind of grudging respect, than love, than just general annoyance with Harry Bosch. I really do think that he's an intriguing character and Connolly has allowed him to grow. But the last couple of Bosch books have not exactly thrilled me. When Haller appeared in the Bosch books I already knew about the twosomes connection so getting to read it backwards like this was actually pretty cool. I always thought that in the Bosch books Mickey wasn't that interesting and was kind of a jerk, but when you read it from his point of view, he's actually a pretty straightforward person.

So Haller and Bosch are going head-to-head because the latter is trying to investigate the murder of the lawyer who left Haller the practice.

We do get welcome appearances by other characters that we've rad about from the prior books, Lorna, Mickey's second wife, and we get to see him interact more with his young daughter, and his former wife Maggie McPherson. We also get an introduction to another investigator, Cisco, that I really liked as well.

The writing was typical Connolly, you definitely know the man knows his way around a courtroom, knows how prosecutors and defense attorneys are supposed to prepare. And it was really cool to read about how juries are picked and to get to see people at trial.

I thought the flow was quite good in this one and there was nothing that I could actually quibble about when it came to the writing or flow.

I thought the setting of a different Los Angeles one that's kind of seedy and just not typical for people who aren't living as A list celebrities is always a nice and realistic read.

The ending definitely leaves some secrets revealed and I definitely didn't see a couple coming at all.

ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Give him back the fish
a lawyer doesn't need one
inside a Lincoln. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This is another Lincoln lawyer book and I think I love them as much as the Bosch stories. The Lincoln lawyer is back from rehab and has inherited a case load from a friend/lawyer who was murdered. Well done story. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leeb, SeppÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Terry Hansen and Frank Morgan
Everybody lies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,715,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible