Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Kersen kruisen by Jeanette Winterson

Kersen kruisen (1989)

by Jeanette Winterson, Geertje Lammers

In the reign of Charles the Second, the first pineapple came to England. Who brought it and why? Pineapple as metaphor is not the only fruit to be real and imaginary. This is a story which ebulliently rejects any single reading of history or life and revels in the multiplicity of truth and time.
Member:jankaldenbach
Title:Kersen kruisen
Authors:Jeanette Winterson
Other authors:Geertje Lammers
Info:Amsterdam Pandora 2011
Rating:***1/2

Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson (1989)

English (41)  German (1)  All languages (42)
Tried, but couldn't get into it. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
I remember really liking this book when I first read it as an active writer in college. I can see why I did - it's a beautiful read and I was really into magical realism, which Winterson writes handily. And the main character is so mythic and wonderful. But this time around I got a little tired of the journey of reading the poetry prose. This probably means I'm a soulless creature. Or that I'm older and jaded. Maybe one in the same. ( )
  barrettlucero | Aug 28, 2019 |
A few years ago (what, 2009?) I encopuntered references to this one, as an online group was considering reading it but ultimately chose something else. Whatever it was, it likely sucked. I went to the library and checked it out and essentially slippe dinside. Winterson is working on a number of levels, all of which are seperated by unimaginable gulfs, until you really ponder and plot the undercurrents. I should read more of her work as I have since bought a pair of novels. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A sometimes confusing, yet fascinating read, at turns philosophical and fantastical. "The Nature of Time" was my favorite section, particularly for this quote: Thinking about time is like turning the globe round and round, recognizing that all journeys exist simultaneously, that to be in one place is not to deny the existence of another, even though that other place cannot be felt or seen, our usual criteria for belief. Thinking about time is to acknowledge two contradictory certainties: that our outward lives are governed by the seasons and the clock; that our inward lives are governed by something much less regular-an imaginative impulse cutting through the dictates of daily time, and leaving us free to ignore the boundaries of here and now and pass like lighting along the coil of pure time, that is the circle of the universe and whatever it does or does not contain. (87) ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |
I picked this book up at a yard sale because I thought it looked interesting. It was. It's a hard book to describe - it
explores ideas about time and space brilliantly but it was hard to follow at first because the story jumps around (in time and space of course) before you know the characters. I had to go back and read the beginning when I was halfway through the book to get things straight. It's not a long book. Beautifully written, quite dreamlike and ephemeral. The musings on time and space are thrilling, somewhere between science and spirituality. I would give it 5 stars if it hadn't been so confusing at first.
1 vote Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
''Sexing the Cherry'' fuses history, fairy tale and metafiction into a fruit that's rather crisp, not terribly sweet, but of a memorably startling flavor.

Jeanette Wintersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kunz, AnitaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lammers, GeertjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leigh, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The Hopi, an Indian tribe, have a language as sophisticated as ours, but no tenses for past present and future. The division does not exist. What does this say about time?

Matter, that thing the most solid and the well-known, which you are holding in your hands and which makes up your body, is now known to be mostly empty space. Empty space and points of light. What does this say about the reality of the world?
For Melanie Adams

My thanks are due to Don and Ruth Rendell, whose hospitality gave me the space to work. To all at Bloomsbury, especially Liz Calder and Caroline Michel. And to Pat Kavanagh for her continual support.
My name is Jordan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,508,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible