Snakes and Earrings (Originally published in…

Snakes and Earrings (Originally published in Japan as Hebi ni Piasu) (edition 2005)

by Hitomi Kanehara, David Karashima (Designer)

Member:kitsunekon
Title:Snakes and Earrings (Originally published in Japan as Hebi ni Piasu)
Authors:Hitomi Kanehara
Other authors:David Karashima (Designer)
Info:Dutton Adult (2005), Paperback, 120 pages
Tags:japan, lit

Snakes and Earrings by Hitomi Kanehara

English (28)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (33)
This was really interesting, I'd never read anything from a Japanese writer before this & I really liked it. Its about a girl who's with this punk guy (I think this is a big deal in Japan, because she's a "Barbie Girl" & I don't think the two groups mix), & she's getting body mods from his friend who fucks her as payment. It does sound quite messed up, & would sound even more so if I were to tell you the ending, but I really, really enjoyed it. Plus, its the only book I think I've ever read in one day. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
Thoroughly repulsive. I mean that in a bad way. ( )
  graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |
I love the unique way of thinking, it's capturing just like the movie. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Forget serenity, temples, stone gardens, tea ceremonies or geisha. Forget your cliche and probably stereotyped image of Japan. Forget also Haruki Murakami and his dreamlike novels. With Hitomi Kanehara, a young Japanese female writer, you will enter a very different Japan, in which underground culture, body modification, and (sexual) violence play a large role.
Snakes and earrings is quite a disturbing novel. See also the other reviews. Having a vivid imagination the tongue-piercing scenes left me quite disgusted! However I still felt that this is a very interesting novel in its own way. Its protagonist Lui, a 19 year old girl in Tokyo, is lost. Society wants her to be cute, a barbie-girl, playacting the role of kimono-wearing hostess/ semi-geisha as a temporary job. Lui wants to escape this fate (not that she expresses it in that way, it is just what she does), the oppression of society, but underground culture brings just as much violence, even if this is more physical. It is a very sad story about a girl who wants to feel, but the only thing left for her to feel is pain. I thought this was a very interesting and different view on Japanese society. ( )
  Tinwara | Feb 21, 2016 |
Japanilaista uutta undergroun -kirjallisuutta. Kaduilla eläneen, kovia kokeneen, nuoren naisen käsialaa.
  JonPoh | Dec 14, 2014 |

Hitomi Kaneharaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Karashima, David JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Know what a forked tongue is?"
"All I wanted was to be part of an underground world where the sun doesn't shine, there are no love songs, and the sound of children's laughter is never, ever heard."
Snakes and Earrings (Originally published in Japan as: Hebi ni Piasu)

An underground world.
A murder.
An international phenomenon.
Snakes and Earrings. . . .

Describing a world as amoral and fascinating as the landscapes of Less Than Zero and Trainspotting, this novel about a young woman living in the violent world of Japan’s underground youth culture is both shocking and strangely beautiful.

Enchanted by the snake-like tongue of a stranger called Ama, nineteen-year-old Lui takes a walk into another side of life. On the Tokyo streets, she finds a world where pain bleeds into pleasure. Where day fades into night. And where right turns into wrong.

An international bestseller.
Winner of the Akutagawa Prize.
Translated by David James Karashima.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

"Enchanted by the snakelike tongue of a stranger called Ama, nineteen-year-old Lui takes a walk into another side of life. On the Tokyo streets, she finds a world where pain bleeds into pleasure. Where day fades into night. And where right turns into wrong."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,206,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible