Aspects of the Atonement: Cross and…

by I. Howard Marshall (Author)

681316,123NoneNone
The Christian understanding of the meaning of the death of Jesus Christ and its relationship to the salvation of sinful humanity is currently the subject of intense debate and criticism. The papers covering this important area are expanded versions of the 2006 series of Chuen King Lectures given in the Chinese University of Hong Kong. In the first two chapters Howard Marshall discusses the nature of the human plight in relation to the judgment of God and then offers a nuanced defence of the doctrine of the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ for sinners. The third chapter examines the place of the resurrection of Christ as an integral part of the process whereby sinners are put in the right with God. In the final chapter argues that in our communication of the gospel today the New Testament concept of reconciliation may be the most comprehensive and apt expression of the lasting significance of the death of Christ.… (more)
Member:k_whitfield
Title:Aspects of the Atonement: Cross and Resurrection in the Reconciling of God and Humanity
Authors:I. Howard Marshall (Author)
Info:Paternoster (2007), 176 pages

Work Information

Aspects of the Atonement: Cross and Resurrection in the Reconciling of God and Humanity by I. Howard Marshall

This is an excellent book with its careful steady work on the biblical texts which is so typical of the author.

4 essays form the chapters of this books on the topics Penalty of Sin (examining the NT use of judgement language), Substitutionary Death of Jesus (again examines language and considers how important this idea is in NT), "Raised for our Justification" (my favourite, considers what other texts help give us a background to this statement that places resurrection as not merely a vindication of the death of Jesus but also an integral part of justification, and demonstrates the representative nature Jesus' work), Reconciliation: its Centrality and Relevance (which examines reconciliation in comparison to a range of NT ideas that could be put forward as the key/foundational atonement concept).

Our church based a post-Easter sermon series on these chapters, and we were greatly helped. Reminds me how much we all owe these scholars.
  FergusS | Jul 28, 2011 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,455,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible