Henry V (Folger Shakespeare Library) by…

Henry V (Folger Shakespeare Library) (edition 2004)

by William Shakespeare (Author)

Henry V is a study of kinship, patriotism, and heroic determination, tempered by tender comedy as Henry courts Katherine, Princess of France.
Member:Heri_Potter
Title:Henry V (Folger Shakespeare Library)
Authors:William Shakespeare (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2004), 294 pages

Henry V by William Shakespeare

English (43)  Swedish (1)  All languages (44)
I'm still not a huge fan of Shakespeare's history plays, but I liked Henry V more than most of the others. Of course, I watched Tom Hiddleston play Henry V in the Hollow Crown before reading, so the story had more theatrical resonance with the live performane bolstering it. The strength of this play comes from its focus on Henry's war and negotiations with France, which, while I may not be able to judge the historical accuracy of, provided ample room for some top notch speeches, dichotomous character development, and a well-driven plot. Being the titular character, Henry really overshadows everyone else in the story and provides the majority of scenes which kept me engaged; he displays an uncanny knack for commandeering and rattles off some truely inspirational pep-talks to his troops (many of which we will see requoted in later years by other war leaders), but he hasn't quite let go of his impish tendencies of youth. We see him disguised and acting the part of a commoner once again, as he baits and debates with an unwitting group of soldiers, and then see him play a flirtatious rogue with Katherine, princess of France in the final moments of the play. He may be viewed as a king known for his prowess in combat, but Shakespeare does much to explore the man behind the crown - even if these characteristics are less than historically accurate, it gives us pause to think about who these legendary characters are in their everyday lives. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
This is another of the outstanding Folger library ebook editions of Shakespeare's works. This edition also contains an excellent essay on Henry V that really adds value.

This play tells the story of Henry V and his conquest of France at Agincourt. Known mostly for its inspiring martial speeches, it is surprisingly humorous in many ways. For example, the bragging of the French nobles just before the battle of Agincourt which they were to lose so completely is wonderful. Also entertaining are the contrasts between the nobles and the soldiers from Eastcheap. ( )
  M_Clark | Jan 25, 2021 |
about the author April 23, 1564 – April 23, 1616

Other contributors:
[[John Russell Brown]] -Editor, 1965, 1998
[[Sylvan Barnet]] – series editor and general introduction, 1963, 1998
[[Raphael Holinshed]] - from Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland (1587 edition)
[[William Hazlitt]] – from Characters of Shakespeare’s Plays, 1818
[[W. B. Yeats]] – from Ideas of Good and Evil, 1961
[[E.M.W. Tillyard]] – from Shakespeare’s History Plays, 1944
[[Jonathan Dollimore]] and [[Alan Sinfield]] - History and Ideology: The Instance of Henry V, 1985
[[Diana E. Henderson]] - ”Enter Queen Isabel”: The Difference it Makes, 1997

Within the series of Shakespeare's history plays this is the only one with a real hero. It follows up on the political intrigue and wars of Richard II, and Henry IV parts 1 and 2. And it should lead to the failures of Henry VI, captured in three different plays, parts 1-3 (which I haven't read).

One of the afterward essays calls this one of Shakespeare's second rate plays - which i think means nice lines but many weaknesses. The main weakness might be drama, or lack of it. Or maybe the mythical glorification of a problematic king and his problematic wars and their problematic consequences is the biggest weakness - if you're looking for that kind of accuracy. I like think Shakespeare needed a plot counter point for his other history plays, and perhaps had some other needs too for his new theater, the Globe. Anyway, I've now read it.

2020
https://www.librarything.com/topic/322920#7326594 ( )
  dchaikin | Nov 27, 2020 |
Yeah, yeah, I'm supposed to be reading King Lear, but the BBC broadcast Brannagh's Henry V film and I thought I'd catch it on iPlayer before it disappears.

Now generally speaking I'm not in favour of invading your neighbour because everything's a bit fraught at home and you need to create a distraction and a bit of nationalistic fervour to make people forget about it and think you're a hero, but when Shakespeare's Henry V does it, I'm on board for plenty of gung-ho Jingoism leavened with comedic scenes and tragic loss of youth's friendships as Kingly responsibility makes its demands.

Why? Because Shakespeare's Chorus calls on a muse of fire in the Prologue - and was answered! There are so many great speeches and great scenes in this play that it would be easier to point out the bits that aren't unalloyed genius. I'm not going to do that because it would be boring. I'm also going to pass over Henry's numerous justly famous speeches in favour of the insufficiently praised Chorus. In all the Shakespeare (or any other drama for that matter) I've witnessed only Romeo and Juliet with it's "Two Houses, both alike in dignity" comes close to having such a truly awe-inspiring scene setting Prologue as this play does, calling upon the audience to supply with imagination the vasty fields of Agincourt whilst verbally rendering the necessary image in all the necessary technicolor 3-D surround-sound iMax glory. The Chorus goes on to further feats of hyperbolic scene-setting that are just amazing - all the more so if you are smart enough to get Derek Jacobi to deliver them for you.

There is of course another reason why I love Henry V so much - because he's a self-declared Welshman. The whole Ffluellyn as butt of Welsh stereotyping jokes tempered by Henry's proud acceptance of Welsh ancestry is great - makes Shakespeare feel more British and less purely English. (On the other hand, Flagon points out that Harry likes St. George who is a Dragon slayer and therefore not his favourite bloke.)

The play is also the culmination of a trilogy and at its best when taken straight after it's two preceding parts so that the transformation from Harry, jack-the-lad, to Henry, respected King and conqueror via a bloody rite-of-passage, assailed by doubts and overwhelming odds against him. Brannagh cleverly incorporates flashbacks to scenes from Henry IV in order to remind the viewer of this.

People don't talk much about the comedy of the play, either, despite there being plenty of it, some of it typically of the era. Where else but the Elizabethan/Jacobean stage would you find an English boy playing a French Princess learning English from her maid who is being played by another English boy? Must have been hilarious - still is when Emma Thompson does it. ANd talking of boys, the Boy is played by Christian Bale!

Anyway, it would take a muse of fusing plasma to inspire me to sufficient praise of this play. Go see it. ( )
1 vote Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
If you go to the Holden St theatres one of the things they have on during the 2017 Fringe Festival in Adelaide is Macbeth with zombies. As you may do, but I don't. My faith in the resilience of Shakespeare goes so far and no further.

I suspect this on its own put me off Henry V Man and Monarch, mashup of Henry IV, V and VI. How wrong was I to judge the one on the back of the other. It's a one man show by Australian RADA graduate Brett Brown and it's a wondrous thing to behold, this young man being so consummately and maturely Shakespearean.

It is a very dense show, we are thrown straight into the lion's den of that bloody warring period. I wanted to see it again, which we did the next night, and indeed if I could see it again I would. Why oh why am I going to Eric Bogle tonight??? I do hope he is good, I don't want to resent another chance to have seen Henry.

As it happens, in this particular presentation of Henry V, a member of the audience stands in for Catherine (or as Shakepeare has it, Katharine) of France. She is to be married to him....

Rest, as usual, is here: https://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/henry-v-man-and-monarch-b... ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

Henry V is Shakespeare's ninth and last English historial play, apart from King Lear and Cymbeline, which treat of pseudo-history, and the late Henry VIII, in which he collaborated with John Fletcher.

Introduction, New Penguin Shakespeare.
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention!
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,

Or close the wall up with our English dead!

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility;

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger:

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
This work is for the complete Henry V only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140707085, 0141013796

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456100041, 1449889654

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,412,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible