HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Hours: A Novel by Michael Cunningham
Loading...

The Hours: A Novel (edition 2002)

by Michael Cunningham

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
10,722188386 (3.92)502
Member:rebeccajw
Title:The Hours: A Novel
Authors:Michael Cunningham
Info:Picador (2002), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:
Tags:None

Work details

The Hours by Michael Cunningham

  1. 121
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (twomoredays, TammyMarshall)
    twomoredays: If you don't read Mrs. Dalloway before The Hours, I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as fulfilling a reading experience.
    TammyMarshall: It gives you a much fuller appreciation of what Cunningham accomplished with his wonderful novel, "The Hours."
  2. 20
    Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T. S. Eliot (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Cunningham is constantly referencing Prufrock. If you haven't read it, you should
  3. 21
    Five Bells by Gail Jones (fountainoverflows)
  4. 00
    Ohio Angels by Harriet Scott Chessman (Miels)
  5. 01
    John Cheever: Collected Stories and Other Writings (Library of America, No. 188) by John Cheever (Cecilturtle)
1990s (67)
My TBR (13)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 502 mentions

English (175)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (187)
Showing 1-5 of 175 (next | show all)
I started this book ages ago and didn'5t get very far, so that it languished under my bed for ages. It was due to be passed on to somebody else, too, ages ago and I feel guilty about that but I decided to give it another go first.

It's not an easy book, any more than its inspiration, Mrs Dalloway, is an easy book. It starts slowly and takes its time to gather momentum, but once it does it's a race towards a conclusion in which the lives of the three women of different generations are seen to intertwine.

Ultimately, it's a book about depression, just as Mrs Dalloway is, and perhaps it takes somebody who has known depression to appreciate it fully. It works for me, then. But in the end Michael Cunningham, who I have no doubt would be the first to acknowledge, is no Virginia Woolf.

I haven't (yet) seen the film but I would like to mention that Stephen Daldry once bought me a drink!
( )
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
I started this book ages ago and didn'5t get very far, so that it languished under my bed for ages. It was due to be passed on to somebody else, too, ages ago and I feel guilty about that but I decided to give it another go first.

It's not an easy book, any more than its inspiration, Mrs Dalloway, is an easy book. It starts slowly and takes its time to gather momentum, but once it does it's a race towards a conclusion in which the lives of the three women of different generations are seen to intertwine.

Ultimately, it's a book about depression, just as Mrs Dalloway is, and perhaps it takes somebody who has known depression to appreciate it fully. It works for me, then. But in the end Michael Cunningham, who I have no doubt would be the first to acknowledge, is no Virginia Woolf.

I haven't (yet) seen the film but I would like to mention that Stephen Daldry once bought me a drink!
( )
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
Poco conocida es la novela de "Las horas" de Michael Cunningham, premiada con el Premio Pulitzer en el año 1999; pero casi todo el mundo habrá oído hablar de la película que lleva el mismo título, protagonizada por Nicole Kidman (como Virgnia Woolf), Meryl Streep (como Clarissa Dalloway) y Julianne Moore (como la señora Brown).

He de reconocer que supe de la existencia de la novela de casualidad, y no tardé ni unos pocos minutos en hacerme con ella. Había creído que "Las horas" era una adaptación de "La señora Dalloway" de Woolf, desconocía la existencia de esta fascinante obra literaria, como pocas he tenido la suerte de leer a lo largo de todos estos años, tantos años. Desde su comienzo, hasta su final, me resultaba hasta doloroso apartar la vista de las letras, tan plagadas de hermosura, sentimientos, con una prosa superior, y un dominio del alma humana increíble.

Tres mujeres, tres tiempos y tres historias. Todas ellas desarrolladas en un único día, de su mañana hasta al caer la noche. Es un homenaje a la mujer: a la mujer que escribía, a la mujer que leía y a la mujer que vivía. Es un recuerdo fulminantemente radiante de Virginia Woolf, un reflejo del proceso creativo que terminó por destruirla, un análisis certero de la terrible enfermedad que sufría. Y es un reflejo moderno de lo que puedo haber sido la señora Dalloway, una mujer que organiza una fiesta, que está plagada de pasado, que sufre el peso tan duro de los recuerdos. Y es la señora Brown, un ama de casa atormentada por el poco dominio de sí misma.

Qué difícil es leerla, y qué difícil es sentirse identificado. Expresa la amargura, el bloqueo que a veces, ese dolor, ese sufrimiento, ése que no se sabe de dónde viene, pero te hunde, y no te permite vivir. La mente de Virginia, Clarrisa y Laura sufre, sufre tanto que resulta imposible ponerse en su piel si se desconoce tal sentimiento. Es un sufrimiento que nace de sus entrañas, de no poder asimilar la vida, o no la vida cómo debe ser considerada. Planea Cunningham un reflejo crudo de la anodina rutina, el silencio del hogar y la inmensidad de estar en soledad por un momento.

¡Qué difícil! ¡Qué difícil se puede antojar comprender la narrativa de "Las horas"! Encontrar la belleza en cómo se friegan los platos, o se van a comprar flores, o se prepara un pastel. Encontrar la razón de ese beso tan robado como prohibido. Encontrar el deseo inherente de libertad de tres mujeres encadenadas a sí mismas.

Creo que cualquier lector, cualquier persona, se deleitará con la lectura de esta obra maestra única, inteligente, cruda y dulce. Una auténtica joya de vida, inolvidable. ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
So happy to have read this after reading Mrs. Dalloway last month. This Pulitzer Prize winner is very creative. Cunningham tells the story of 3 different generations of women all impacted by the book Mrs Dalloway. Virginia Woolf being the first and it gives us a look at Mrs Woolf as she rights the book Mrs Dalloway. The next is Laura Brown, a wife and mother in the period following WWII. She is a women reading Mrs. Dalloway and who is terribly unhappy in her marriage and motherhood. The final generation is Clarissa Vaughan from the nineties and AIDS. Clarissa’s life mirrors the life of Mrs Dalloway and her friend Richard who is dying of AIDS calls her Mrs. Dalloway. Themes include mental illness, sexuality, and groups of threes. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 13, 2018 |
I just finished the Hours. It's deeply moving and asks the readers to consider deeply what keeps a person going when they feel empty inside. I like it in the way I like The God of Small Things. But I am uncertain about my emotions towards these books. It's like talking to fascinating people that you don't like -- not instinctively -- but with whom you resonate deeply.
I tried to watch the trailer for the Hours (which as you know is an Oscar winning movie). Couldn't do it. Perhaps the book is too fresh in my mind and every alteration seems like a careless blasphemy. Frankly for all the film's acclaim, I don't see this novel working well as movie. Its strength and profoundness like in its prose. The book is wrought with viscerally compelling imagery and each phrase is fluid with beauty and darkness melded as one. The film notably features a screenplay altered from the text of the novel to match the novel's plot and themes.
I suppose will try and watch the film later, I suppose, as I do like the actors cast. ( )
  blueberry28 | Aug 31, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 175 (next | show all)
Cunningham gives you every chance to hear his echoes of Woolf's style: the whimsical similes, the rueful parentheses, the luminous circumstantial detail. And the narrative method is a homage to Woolf's novel. Each section imitates Mrs Dalloway by being restricted to the events of a single day, and follows the stream of one consciousness, only to leave it, for a sentence or a paragraph, for another....Imitation is fitting because Woolf's original novel was trying to do justice to the sharpness of new experience, even as it detonates old memories, and this endeavour is always worth trying afresh.
added by KayCliff | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Jun 24, 2011)
 
We don't have to read ''Mrs. Dalloway'' before we can read ''The Hours,'' and no amount of pedantic comparison-hunting will help us understand it if we don't understand it already. But the connections between the two books, after the initial, perhaps overelaborate laying out of repetitions and divergences, are so rich and subtle and offbeat that not to read ''Mrs. Dalloway'' after we've read ''The Hours'' seems like a horrible denial of a readily available pleasure -- as if we were to leave a concert just when the variations were getting interesting.
 

» Add other authors (35 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Cunningham, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alopaeus, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goddijn, ServaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hodge, PatriciaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
We'll hunt for a third tiger now, but like the others this one too will be a form of what I dream, a structure of words, and not the flesh and bone tiger that beyond all myths paces the earth. I know these things quite well, yet nonetheless some force keeps driving me in the vague, unreasonable, and ancient quest, and I go on pursuing through the hours another tiger, the beast not found in verse.
- J.L. Borges, The Other Tiger, 1960
I have no time to describe my plans. I should say a good deal about The Hours, and my discovery; how I dig out beautiful caves behind my characters; I think that gives exactly what I want; humanity, humour, depth. The idea is that the caves shall connect, and each comes to daylight at the present moment.
- Virginia Wolf, in her diary, August 30, 1923
Dedication
This book is for Ken Corbett
First words
Sie hastet aus dem Haus, wirft einen für die Witterung zu schweren Mantel über: 1941.
She hurries from the house, wearing a coat too heavy for the weather. It is 1941.
Quotations
"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep–it's as simple and ordinary as that. A few jump out of windows or drown themselves or take pills; more die by accident; and most of us, the vast majority, are slowly devoured by some disease or, if we're very fortunate, by time itself. There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined, though everyone but children (and perhaps even they) knows these hours will inevitably be followed by others, far darker and more difficult. Still, we cherish the city, the morning; we hope, more than anything, for more.
Heaven only knows why we love it so."
What a thrill, what a shock, to be alive on a morning in June, prosperous, almost scandalously privileged, with a simple errand to run.
It had seemed like the beginning of happiness, and Clarissa is still sometimes shocked, more than thirty years later, to realize that it was happiness; that the entire experience lay in a kiss and a walk, the anticipation of dinner and a book...What lives undimmed in Clarissa's mind more than three decades later is a kiss at dusk on a patch of dead grass, and a walk around a pond as mosquitoes droned in the darkening air. There is still that singular perfection, and it's perfect in part because it seemed, at the time, so clearly to promise more. Now she knows: That was the moment, right then. There has been no other.
Clarissa dislikes arrangements. She prefers flowers to look as if they've just arrived, in armloads, from the fields.
Virginia thinks of Leonard frowning over the proofs, intent on scouring away not only the setting errors but whatever taint of mediocrity errors imply.
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
The book concerns three generations of women affected by a Virginia Woolf novel. The first is Woolf herself writing Mrs. Dalloway in 1923 and struggling with her own mental illness. The second is Mrs. Brown, wife of a World War II veteran, who is reading Mrs. Dalloway in 1949 as she plans her husband's birthday party. The third is Clarissa Vaughan, a lesbian, who plans a party in 1998 to celebrate a major literary award received by her good friend and former lover, the poet Richard, who is dying of AIDS. The situations of all three characters mirror situations experienced by Woolf's Clarissa Dalloway in 'Mrs. Dalloway', with Clarissa Vaughn being a very literal modern-day version of Woolf's character.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312305060, Paperback)

The Hours is both an homage to Virginia Woolf and very much its own creature. Even as Michael Cunningham brings his literary idol back to life, he intertwines her story with those of two more contemporary women. One gray suburban London morning in 1923, Woolf awakens from a dream that will soon lead to Mrs. Dalloway. In the present, on a beautiful June day in Greenwich Village, 52-year-old Clarissa Vaughan is planning a party for her oldest love, a poet dying of AIDS. And in Los Angeles in 1949, Laura Brown, pregnant and unsettled, does her best to prepare for her husband's birthday, but can't seem to stop reading Woolf. These women's lives are linked both by the 1925 novel and by the few precious moments of possibility each keeps returning to. Clarissa is to eventually realize:
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined.... Still, we cherish the city, the morning; we hope, more than anything, for more.
As Cunningham moves between the three women, his transitions are seamless. One early chapter ends with Woolf picking up her pen and composing her first sentence, "Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself." The next begins with Laura rejoicing over that line and the fictional universe she is about to enter. Clarissa's day, on the other hand, is a mirror of Mrs. Dalloway's--with, however, an appropriate degree of modern beveling as Cunningham updates and elaborates his source of inspiration. Clarissa knows that her desire to give her friend the perfect party may seem trivial to many. Yet it seems better to her than shutting down in the face of disaster and despair. Like its literary inspiration, The Hours is a hymn to consciousness and the beauties and losses it perceives. It is also a reminder that, as Cunningham again and again makes us realize, art belongs to far more than just "the world of objects." --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:26 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

In a novel of love, family inheritance, and desperation, the author offers a fictional account of Virginia Woolf's last days and her friendship with a poet living in his mother's shadow.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 12 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.92)
0.5 2
1 43
1.5 9
2 152
2.5 45
3 492
3.5 138
4 908
4.5 136
5 813

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,834,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible