The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Other Boleyn Girl (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Philippa Gregory (Author)

When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.… (more)
Member:JoannaHens
Title:The Other Boleyn Girl
Authors:Philippa Gregory (Author)
Info:Pocket Star (2007), Edition: Movie Tie-In, 752 pages

Work Information

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (2001)

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir (shamicnic, al.vick)
    shamicnic: This historical fiction book preceeds "Innocent Traitor" by telling the story of Anne Boleyn from the intriguing point of view of her sister, Mary Boleyn.
    Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir (meggyweg)
    The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George (citygirl)
    citygirl: Way better.
    Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill by Susan Holloway Scott (cataylor)
    The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although The Twentieth Wife is set in Mughal India, not Tudor England, I think Sundaresan and Gregory write similar romance-infused history about a royal court populated by ambitious courtiers, including some scheming women.
    Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII's Mistress by Josephine Wilkinson (meggyweg)
    The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Borgia Bride takes a look at another controversial historical figure - Lucrezia Borgia through the eyes of her sister-in-law. There is plenty of scandal, drama, and ambition.
    The rise and fall of Anne Boleyn : Family politics at the court of Henry VIII by Retha M. Warnicke (meggyweg)
    Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett (PatMock)
    The Concubine by Norah Lofts (carport)
    carport: I enjoyed this characterization of Anne Boleyn very much. Written in the 1950s, the book contains some inaccuracies, but is an excellent portrait of Henry VIII's notorious wife.

English (363)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (372)
I enjoyed this way more than The Queen's Fool, the only other Philippa Gregory I've read. Mary Boleyn felt like a fully fleshed character in a way that the other book's narrator never did. I still wasn't impressed though; I feel like there are plenty of other treatments of the era and people that are better done however.

I suspect I will not be picking up any more of Ms. Gregory's book; there are too many awesome authors in the world for me to not be picky. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
While not the first Philippa Gregory novel I read (I had previously devoured her "Wideacre" series), this is the one that started my mini obsession with the Tudors and Plantagenets. Gregory is a historical researcher par excellence, yet also a magician with crafting easy-to-follow, historical stories that don't get bogged down in archaic language or situations. Thanks to Ms. Gregory, I am now something of an amateur expert (is there such a thing?! - ha ha) on Henry VIII, his wives, family, and court.

Mary Boleyn, the lesser-known sister of Anne Boleyn (Henry VIII's future second-wife), is our heroine in this tale. She's a likeable, golden girl who catches the king's eye, and, typical of the day, uses her relationship with the royal personage to her own advantage, and to that of her family. Yet, enter her younger sister, Anne, who has been raised at the saucy and lax French court, and you the recipe for my favorite quote from the book, which is something like, "We're sisters. Born to be rivals."

If I had one complaint, it would be that Gregory's modern-day taken on women and their role in the world does sometimes drive the narrative and characters' actions. That said, the quality of her work and research is of the upmost integrity and she strives with ardor to remain true to actual events.

This is the first of Gregory's novels on the Tudor court; chronologically it becomes #9 in the stream of later books published. I highly recommend reading them in the order they were written, as prequels rarely feel like they came first, since they are filling in pieces that were originally discussed in "later" books. If you're a lover of historical fiction, this is not one to be missed. ( )
  Desiree_Reads | Jul 9, 2021 |
Excellent historical fiction. I found that I had either forgotten or never known what the charges against Anne Boleyn were - quite shocking!

I was annoyed by the fact (historically accurate I am sure) that still births, miscarriages & deformities were all assumed to be the result of the mother's sins, never the father's. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 31, 2021 |
I truly cannot get enough of Philippa Gregory novels. One keeps getting better than the last one. To read them in chronological order (see her website for the list) is terrific. It just makes the story keep going. Again another must read. This one is told from the POV from Mary Boleyn (Anne Boleyn's sister). Loved it. ( )
  ChrisCaz | Feb 23, 2021 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyons, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Anthony
Spring 1521

I could hear a roll of muffled drums.

The King wants a son.
He'd better get one or else
Heads are gonna roll.

(Carnophile)
This book teaches us
Sisters really aren't always
Best Friends Forever.

(Carnophile)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,461,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible