The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of…

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written. Barcelona, 1945-just after the war, a great world city lies in shadow, nursing its wounds, and a boy named Daniel awakes on his eleventh birthday to find that he can no longer remember his mother's face. To console his only child, Daniel's widowed father, an antiquarian book dealer, initiates him into the secret of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a library tended by Barcelona's guild of rare-book dealers as a repository for books forgotten by the world, waiting for someone who will care about them again. Daniel's father coaxes him to choose a volume from the spiraling labyrinth of shelves, one that, it is said, will have a special meaning for him. And Daniel so loves the novel he selects, The Shadow of the Wind by one Julian Carax, that he sets out to find the rest of Carax's work. To his shock, he discovers that someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book this author has written. In fact, he may have the last one in existence. Before Daniel knows it his seemingly innocent quest has opened a door into one of Barcelona's darkest secrets, an epic story of murder, magic, madness and doomed love. And before long he realizes that if he doesn't find out the truth about Julian Carax, he and those closest to him will suffer horribly. As with all astounding novels, The Shadow of the Wind sends the mind groping for comparisons- The Crimson Petal and the White? The novels of Arturo Peacute-Reverte? Of Victor Hugo? Love in the Time of Cholera ?-but in the end, as with all astounding novels, no comparison can suffice. As one leading Spanish reviewer wrote, ldquo. The originality of Ruiz Zafoacute's voice is bombproof and displays a diabolical talent. The Shadow of the Wind announces a phenomenon in Spanish literature. An uncannily absorbing historical mystery, a heart-piercing romance, and a moving homage to the mystical power of books, The Shadow of the Wind is a triumph of the storyteller's art.… (more)
Member:andres_escoces
Title:The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Info:Penguin Books, Paperback, 487 pages

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (samalots)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    The City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (M_Clark)
    M_Clark: The story of the Deptford Trilogy unfolds its plot in a similar way.

To Read (80)

English (812)  Spanish (31)  Dutch (30)  French (19)  Italian (19)  German (13)  Catalan (9)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (4)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Arabic (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (954)
When his father takes him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books to choose a book, Daniel picks The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax. Wanting to find more works by Carax leads him and others into a mystery and the resulting danger.
Really enjoyed this story ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
Just terrific. The last two days since I picked this book, I hardly got anything accomplished other than finishing this. I would find myself awake at 2am or 5 am in the morning and unlike my usual habit where I fall back to sleep, I reach out for my iPad and continue reading from where I left off - I got as much invested in the mystery as Daniel in the story was.

The first thing that came to mind as the story progressed is that it's a lot of stuff to take in..and yet,if u look at it - it can all be broken down into a really simple chain of events that almost seem fated to have occured. One more thing about it is it almost felt like a real story - with real characters that once breathed and lived rather than a work of fiction. The characters feel like an extension of own family through the narrator Daniel and we almost sort of feel protective/good will flowing from our hearts into the good guys and meanness into the bad guys.

Some characters are very memorable and almost indelible. Fermin Romero de Torres - the spy turned begger turned book keeper - witty, matured and really kind hearted for whom life has been unkind until Daniel comes across.

Julian Carax - the most important character of the story - if I ever come across this kind of a person, I would perhaps just run away and hide - he is a mad man who is blinded by passionate love towards his one true love, Penelope - survives death multiple times never giving up on meeting her (who has already been dead) and in the end just lives to cradle her memories in his heart.

Nuria is just awesome and her brutal death comes as a blow not just to all those who loved her in the story.

Daniel - the narrator is sort of an enigma - he doesn't come off as the brave types but must be really courageous to have risked his life in saving a stranger at the end.

I would be very interested to find out more works from this author who didn't leave any pieces of the puzzle unanswered. He got it all through thoroughly. 😃😃 ( )
  nagasravika.bodapati | Jul 18, 2021 |
This was both creepier and more of a page turner than I'd anticipated. It's quite the Gothic! I sometimes had trouble at first placing it in the correct era; because it was so gloomily atmospheric, I kept thinking it was set a hundred years ago rather than in the 1940s and 1950s. The Spanish Civil War made a pervasive backdrop, giving the book much of its gloom.

But it's also, like any good Gothic, a (tragic) romance. One of the many tangled threads of the plot involves a tragic translator and copyeditor. Then there's the fountain pen owned by Victor Hugo, the mysterious Cemetery of Forgotten Books—lots for a bibliophile to love! ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
Just not for me ( )
  bigship | Jul 13, 2021 |
A complex and convoluted story about a writing prodigy named Julian Carax, and young Daniel Sempere, who longs to discover what happened to Julian: "a shadow of his own words." Zafon writes beautifully of Barcelona, and does wonderfully with his characters too. Here is one quote that was memorable: "the art of reading is slowly dying, thats it's an intimate ritual, that a book is a mirror that offers us only what we already carry inside us, that when we read, we do it with all our heart and mind, and great readers are becoming more scarce by the day." I would have rated it a 5, but I found it slow at times in the first half of the book. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joan Ramon Planas, who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner.
He would have liked to know that somebody wanted to keep him alive, that someone remembered him. He used to say that we exist as long as somebody remembers us.
Audio drama version; please don't combine with the book!

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlos Ruiz Zafón's book The Shadow of the Wind was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,715,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible