Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative…

Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling

by Andy Crouch

One of the most challenging books I have read in many years. Crouch gives us a view of what culture is, how we relate to it and have opportunities to affect it, and how we can't change it. Throughout, Crouch emphasizes the need for grace in all that we do as culture makers, depending upon the one who is the ultimate culture maker, Jesus. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
Good stuff – not amazing, but solid. See here for more thoughts. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 30, 2013 |
Very insightful book about God's view of culture and analysis of different ways in which Christians may participate in and influence culture. ( )
  Steve777 | Sep 20, 2012 |
From birth to death, culture shapes our experience of the world, molding our perceptions of the possible and impossible. At the same time, culture (“what we make of the world”) is both a profound gift and responsibility from God, a point Crouch draws from throughout the arch of the biblical narrative. Crouch offers three excellent contributions to the ongoing discussion of Christians in culture. First, Crouch shares five questions for understanding and evaluating cultural acts and artifacts. This resource alone is a significant gift to the Christian community, helping the discussion move beyond a simplistic sacred/secular dichotomy. Second, Crouch rightly calls redemptive culture to reflect God’s work in the Exodus and Resurrection, placing the impetus of the Christian hope in God rather than political maneuvering, cultural manipulation, or individual ability. Third, Crouch reminds the church that responsible culture making demands a right understanding of power, community, and grace. A
  bsanner | Dec 13, 2008 |

It is not enough to condemn culture. Nor is it sufficient merely to critique culture or to copy culture. Most of the time, we just consume culture. But the only way to change culture is to create culture.

Andy Crouch unleashes a stirring manifesto calling Christians to be culture makers. For too long, Christians have had an insufficient view of culture and have waged misguided "culture wars." But we must reclaim the cultural mandate to be the creative cultivators that God designed us to be. Culture is what we make of the world, both in creating cultural artifacts as well as in making sense of the world around us. By making chairs and omelets, languages and laws, we participate in the good work of culture making.

Crouch unpacks the complexities of how culture works and gives us tools for cultivating and creating culture. He navigates the dynamics of cultural change and probes the role and efficacy of our various cultural gestures and postures. Keen biblical exposition demonstrates that creating culture is central to the whole scriptural narrative, the ministry of Jesus and the call to the church. He guards against naive assumptions about "changing the world," but points us to hopeful examples from church history and contemporary society of how culture is made and shaped. Ultimately, our culture making is done in partnership with God's own making and transforming of culture.

A model of his premise, this landmark book is sure to be a rallying cry for a new generation of culturally creative Christians. Discover your calling and join the culture makers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

Encourages Christians to contribute to the making of culture, providing examples from church history and contemporary society to demonstrate how culture is created and shaped.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,765,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible