Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

Member:want2readmore
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 272 pages

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

English (308)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (310)
So I am officially giving up on this Sedaris audio, and I'll have to rethink reading Dress Your Family. There were at least two pretty funny essays on this morning's drive - the titular Talk Pretty and its follow up, both about Sedaris's french lessons in France. But overall I've been mostly bored, and as mentioned in my last update, I don't appreciate spouse-abuse humor. So this goes on the Lost Interest shelf and I'm moving on to expanding my audio horizons with Stuart Wood. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Such a strange book. Much of it was really dull, but then there'd be bits where I laughed till the tears ran down my face. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
After attempting to read one of his books - I forget which - I've learned that a big part of my enjoyment of David is listening to him....
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I read this one in audio format and definitely recommend it. Sedaris' delivery adds considerably to the experience. I found the book very funny in places, even laugh-out-loud at times, and at other times it was just bizarre. His perspective is unique, and I'm looking forward to reading more of his books! ( )
  runeshower | Jan 17, 2018 |
This book is not my usual style of thing to read, but I seem to be going through a biography/autobiography stage. I found it vaguely amusing but I'll not be quoting it at parties or anything. It was a relatively quick read, but it jumped around quite a lot and lacked context in some places which I found annoying. I found the stories from the author's childhood more interesting than the stories from adulthood. My overwhelming thought after finishing the book was, "So what has this guy actually done with his life?" I'd recommend to someone who was after an afternoon read that did not stretch the brain cells too far but made them chuckle a few times. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

Sedaris, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aison, Cathryn S.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, MelissaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

David Sedaris moved from New York to Paris where he attempted to learn French. His teacher, a sadist, declared that every day spent with him was like giving birth the Caesarean way! These hilarious essays were inspired by that move.

4 2024

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,590,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible