Quite Honestly by John Mortimer

Quite Honestly

by John Mortimer

204957,485 (3.24)14

I really looked like a Brit on holiday while reading this book by the pool! It was predictable but OK. The UK writing style and language took some getting used to, but it wasn't terrible, just not my type of book. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
Although a bit predictable, Mortimer has written an entertaining story that pokes fun at a number of groups including the justice system's ineffective attempts to rehabilitate released convicts. My favourite character was the bishop who is disappointed in God for supporting President Bush and Prime Minister Blair. It makes one wonder how the bishop is handling the result of the 2016 US election. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Jan 9, 2017 |
Amusing light comedy. Most of the British idioms can be understood in context.
Young naive woman works as preceptor for newly-released con. ( )
1 vote juniperSun | Sep 30, 2015 |
Read my review here: http://from7eight.com/quite-honestly/ ( )
  corinnerodrigues | Feb 24, 2015 |
handy-dandy, which is the justice, which is the thief?
William Shakespeare, King Lear, Act 4, Scene 6
Our interest's on the dangerous edge of things. The honest thief, the tender murderer
Robert Browning, 'Bishop Blougram's Apology'
To Kathy
I don't know why, but I've always wanted to do some sort of good in the world.

From the creator of the Rumpole stories—a novel of middle-class do-gooding gone awry

Fans of John Mortimer and his popular Rumpole mysteries will love Quite Honestly, a comedy filled with a delightful cast of characters and Mortimer’s unique and entertaining take on a life of crime. Life couldn’t be better for Lucinda Purefoy—college educated, with a steady boyfriend and a job offer in advertising. With all this good fortune, isn’t it appropriate for her to give something back to society? Armed with only good intentions, she joins Social Carers, Reformers and Praeceptors (SCRAP, for short), a misguided organization that recruits women to becomes guides, philosophers, and friends to ex-convicts coming out of prison. Once she meets her charge, Terry Keegan, the ensuing hilarity and mishaps produce a signature Mortimer tale, full of wit and surprise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Complete and unabridged recording of this classic Dahl tale, read by Lynn Redgrave. A book about 'real witches' - the ones that absolutely loathe children and are always plotting to get rid of them. Great new Quentin Blake cover and new author biography.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,380,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible