Amelia Bedelia and the Cat by Herman Parish

Amelia Bedelia and the Cat

by Herman Parish

I loved reading Amelia Bedelia as a child so I picked this book this week as some nostalgia, however I was a little disappointed. It is listed as a beginning reader book and while the words were simple, I found some of the dialogue pages to be confusing and worded and ordered poorly. I also remember thinking as a kid how funny it was that she would misunderstand everything and take everything literally, but reading it today, I was just frustrated. It also makes housekeepers look intellectually beneath their families. There are also social disorders that are characterized by misunderstanding innuendos and figures of speech. This book followed Amelia Bedelia finding a cat and then going all over town to try and gather the things a cat needs. She calls the zoo and has a 3 page misunderstanding with Mr. Lyon, and also learns the difference between a litter of cats and cat litter. There are lessons to be taught from this book about homophones and other social situations, however I was mainly underwhelmed reading this as an adult. ( )
  owaguespack | Dec 2, 2018 |
This particular series written by Herman Parish has always been fun to read. Though the central message isn't quite clear for each specific book, the underlying message is that no matter what challenges you face you will always get through. Amelia Bedelia and the cat is a fun story about Amelia finding a pet cat outside. She has no clue the first thing about cats, but she is determined to take the cat ,in and give it a home. With the help of her neighbors and Mrs. Rogers she is able to do so. Unfortunately, Amelia can no longer take care of the cat when Mama Cat comes along and takes her back home. Amelia learned new things, just like we do on a day to day basis. ( )
  NicoleHorney | Sep 20, 2016 |
The main message of this book is to take care of anyone that needs help even animals.
I was not fond of the characters of this book or the illustrations but I did like the plot of the story.
The characters of the story were a bit odd for me as an adult to read about because the they took everything literally. When Mrs. Rogers said that it was going to rain cats and dogs, Amelia actually expected dogs and cats to come falling out of the sky. It was just a bit silly for me to read because I knew that often the book was using expressions but the characters took it in a literal way. I also wasn’t fond of how the main character, Amelia, acted to silly with Mr. Lyon from the zoo, assuming that he was a lion. Yes, it may be funny for young children to read but as an adult it was a bit asinine.
I also wasn’t in love with the amount and types of pictures that are throughout this book. Most of the page is white while having little pictures strategically placed around the page. Despite this book being designed for older children, I would like for there to be an abundance of pictures and less white along the pages. Although I wish there were more pictures, I did enjoy the style of the pictures that were provided. They were not too complex and very easy to look at. Also they helped to make connections with the words on the page just enough for the reader to understand what is going on in the storyline.
Lastly, I enjoyed the plot of this story because of its simplicity and it can be easily related to someone’s personal experiences. I appreciated the moments of craziness, when Amelia was stuck in a tree, as moments to create suspense or to create a problem for the plotline. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
Amelia Bedelia is a silly girl who is a maid for a married couple. She misunderstands directions very easily. She finds confusion when Mrs. Rogers says it is raining cats and dog. She befriends a cat on this day and they become inseparable. She must now learn how to take care of a cat.
  mefellers | Aug 2, 2015 |
This is a story of a housekeeper (Amelia Bedelia) whom understands the words in their literal meaning. For example in Amelia Bedelia and the Cat, when Mrs. Rogers told her that it is going to rain cats and dogs, Amelia said "Goody, we will get a free pet." This book is not only entertaining, but also gives the readers a good view of words that have multiple meanings. This book has a light humor in it, and at the same time teaches the children to be caring for animals. I like the fact that people in this book stop to help each other, and in this case, helping Amelia. In one of the illustrations Amelia is taking out an umbrella from her bag, which reminded me of Mary Poppins.
  lalenaz | Feb 17, 2011 |
Mrs. Rogers was in a total tizzy.

Leave it to Amelia Bedelia to find a real cat on a day it's "raining cats and dogs." She names him Tiger, and in no time, the two are inseparable and as happy as clams.

But then Tiger gets into trouble. Will Amelia Bedelia go out on a limb to save him?

The cat's out of the bag—this is an irresistible Amelia Bedelia adventure!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:07 -0400)

Amelis Bedelia finds a stray kitten and tries, in her literal-minded way, to take good care of it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible