Annihilation: War of the Spider Queen, Book…

Annihilation: War of the Spider Queen, Book V (R.A Salvatore Presents the… (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Philip Athans (Author)

Favorite characters, situations, and locales from R.S. Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy return in a volume that chronicles a devastating civil war that threatens the drow civilization.
Member:DoaneNerd
Title:Annihilation: War of the Spider Queen, Book V (R.A Salvatore Presents the War of the Spider Queen)
Authors:Philip Athans (Author)
Info:Wizards of the Coast (2005), 384 pages

Work Information

Annihilation by Philip Athans (2004)

I'm not certain if the writing in this is genuinely worse or if it just feels that way because book 4 was so good but...the fights are rough to read and the plot feels thin and stretched over too much book. Characters that die/leave the narrative feel like they die/leave the narrative purely to cut down on how many characters there'll be in the final book. There's not always anything wrong with plot driving the narrative but it is frustrating to feel like you can see The Plot making decisions in the story. ( )
  ashelocke | Sep 29, 2021 |
I read the entire "War of the Spider Queen" series back to back, so it's hard to rate each book separately. Set in the familiar forgotten realms universe, the characters encounter perils that get more dangerous as the series progresses. Filled with the distrust and backstabbing that has come to be expected with drow in this world, there are still occasional moments of tenderness and soul searching, making this a very worthwhile read. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Good book with a good pace and a good mix of adventuring and action. Gruesome at some points but very satisfying.
  mdekleine | Jun 30, 2012 |
Maybe the best in the series? I could not say what I liked best: there are loads of action and buttkicking, the Archmage storyline is awesome, especially the first chapter, but I enjoyed also the fight in the swamp. The thing is I never tire of reading it.

The first chapter is not for delicate stomachs. ( )
  sereq_ieh_dashret | Feb 8, 2012 |
I loved this book. It was at first loaned to me by a friend and I feel in love with this story. The way their personnalities are written made this even better. I loved this! ( )
  DriderQueen | Jul 5, 2009 |

Philip Athansprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salvatore, R.A.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brom, GeraldCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A journey through the unforgiving expanse of the endless Abyss awaits. At the end of that journey a ragged band of dark elves hope to find Lolth herself. Through they've managed to survive the fall of Ched Nasad, the demon-haunted ruins of Myth Drannor, and the vicious cunning of aboleth slave-masters, the Underdark is child's play compared to the chaotic infinity of the Demonweb Pits. They'll go to find the truth but may well find only Annihilation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,536,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible