Lost on planet China (2008)

by J. Maarten Troost

A sharply observed, hilarious account of Troost's adventures in China- a complex, fascinating country with enough dangers and delicacies to keep him, and readers, endlessly entertained.

Adult nonfiction. Travel/humor. The author takes a critical look at modern China as it would appear to an uninformed traveler (himself). There is also a bit of Bush-bashing, which is reason enough for some to read it. Another entertaining and quick read by Troost. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Very funny and informative ( )
  shelbycassie | Aug 5, 2018 |
One man's attempt to understand the world's most mystifing nation
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Fun w/ a plethora of hidden details about travel in China. Makes one wonder even more about the Chinese.... ( )
  untraveller | Apr 3, 2016 |
When Troost and his wife decide that they want to move from their home in Sacremento with their two children, his wife suggests Monterey. Troost, ever the adventurer, suggests China. What follows is his account of his months long journey throughout China. What he discovers is that the food is excellent - if you don't think about you're eating; China is excessively overpopulated and even worse the pollution is so bad that it's nearly impossible to breath; the minority populations are treated as tourist attractions; the laowai, or foreigners, were a novelty; most of the old culture has been destroyed in the name of Communism or progress - sometimes both; and that China is nearly a planet unto itself.

I've never read a travel book before. The idea of reading someone else's opinions of another culture or country never appealed to me. I'm glad I picked this book up. Troost is good storyteller and at times was laugh out loud funny. Some of the funniest parts of the book though were to be had when his friend Jack joined him in Hong Kong for a few weeks in Western China. While the book was mostly about his experiences as a traveller there, Troost also managed to impart a good bit of the history of China which made it all the more enjoyable to me. But beyond that, I learned that should I ever suggest a trip to China, my husband has full authority to take thiis book and smack me upside the head with it.
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
For my parents
There are two kinds of people roaming the far fringes of the world: Morman missionaries and Chinese businessmen.
I had assumed that China maintained a relatively repressed attitude toward sex, but in this, too, I was wrong. True the government holds a prudish disposition and keeps an careful eye on the lyrical content of pop songs and the skin content on films, but Chinese society, at least in its urban variation [...]. You can't buy Playboy in China, but should your sexual needs involve battery-operated devices, just head down to your friendly neighborhood sex toy emporium [...] (Chap. 9)
But as I peered a little more closely at these crudely rendered porcelain depictions of intimate acts, I gathered that these images were not meant to arouse but inform, and I can only say that if I were an ancient Chinese lass on her wedding day, spending a few minutes with Mom, who was informing her daughter of what exactly was expected of her on her wedding night, I'd flee. Though I did note that the evening would end with cuddling. (Chap. 9)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,225,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible