Life of Pi : a novel by Yann Martel

Life of Pi : a novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Yann Martel

36,23689330 (3.92)2 / 1186
Member:box89e
Title:Life of Pi : a novel
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:New York: Harcourt, c2001. xii, 319 p. ; 24 cm. lst U.S. ed
Tags:fiction

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another story where the dividing line between the narrator's reality and imagination is purposely difficult to resolve.
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)

Asia (6)
Canada (40)

English (863)  Dutch (13)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (900)
This is the story of a young boy from India who is moving with his family to Canada. In Indai, his father owned a zoo, and they are transporting many of the animals that have been sold to Canada. They are on a large ship sailing across the pacific when tragedy strikes and the ship sinks. The lone survivor - Pi - is telling the story to an author who wants to write his story. Pi tells the story of how he spent 277 days on the ocean with a 450 pound Bengal tiger before they hit land in Mexico and were saved. He loses his whole family when that ship sinks, and now as an adult, he recollects his experience with a fantastic story of survival.

This is a great book. I have seen the movie, but have never read it. My eldest daughter - who is 14 - had to read this book for school, so we decided to do it together. I enjoyed that as much as I did the book.

This book is well written. It has funny parts, and the story is truly griping. My daughter was sad when the story ended because it really is a fantastic tale. A must read.

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
My impression of this book suffers for the circumstances under which I read it. I was ill in hospital and near bed-ridden, so the parallel of a boat drifting on the Pacific ocean and the monotony of my days in a closed room felt very much overlapped.

I feel that the base story of this book is well known, or at least what makes up the bulk of the setting, and I'm not sure one can say much more without getting into a lengthy conversation about "why?" It is ponderous outside of Pi's daily survival activities, and few books have made both inclined to think and inclined to accept the face value at the same time.

Perhaps I will read it again, to see just how much my state of mind was colouring my view at the time. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Dec 15, 2018 |
Fun book, get's a little weird near the end. ( )
  scottkirkwood | Dec 4, 2018 |
Het orgineel van mijn review kan je vinden op mijn blog:

Hoofdpersoon is Piscine Molitor Patel vernoemd naar een van de mooiste zwembaden van Parijs. Natuurlijk word jhij op school al snel uitgescholden word voor Pies. Als hij naar de middelbare school gaat maakt hij aan elke leraar duidelijk wat zijn naam is, en dat zijn roepnaam Pi is.

Eerlijkheidshalve moet ik toegeven dat ik een aantal passages geskipt heb. Voornamelijk die over het geloof, hoe hij hindoe, katholiek en moslim werd. Wel vind ik het ontzettend stoer dat hij alle hoeken van elk geloof onderzoekt. Herkenbaar ook, niet in deze extreme vorm, maar zelf heb ik het ook gedaan. Natuurlijk komt hij hierdoor in de problemen. Ik heb ontzettend moeten lachen om de ontmoeting op de boulevard tussen Pi , zijn onwetende ouders, en de *drie wijzen*

Piscine, is dit echt waar? vroeg de imam ernstig,. Hindoes en christenen zijn afgodendienaren. Ze hebben vele goden.
En moslims hebben vele vrouwen kaatste de pandit terug.
De priester wierp een schuine blik op de andere twee. Piscine zei hij bijna fluisterend, alleen Jezus red.

Vervolgens het verhaal van de verhuizing en de daaropvolgende schipbreuk, …
Ademloos heb ik het gelezen. Perplex leg ik het boek uiteindelijk weg. Wauw, 227 dagen op zee ! Al lezend bekroop mij al snel het gevoel dat Pi door de gruwelijke gebeurtenissen de mensen door dieren verving, wat richting het einde bevestigd zou kunnen worden. Wat is waar? Wat is hallucinatie?

Alles was normaal en toen ineens, ……..
Zonk al dat normale.

Pi vertelt twee versies, de tweede versie bevestigt mijn vermoeden, maar, …
In deze versie beland Pi met zijn moeder de kok en een matroos in de reddingsboot. De matroos breekt zijn been en dat moet geamputeerd worden. De kok dood de matroos uiteindelijk en gebruikt zijn lichaam als aas terwijl hij ook wat van het lichaam op snoept. Wanneer Pi’s moeder boos op de kok wordt dood hij haar. En Pi dood in woede de kok. In dit verhaal is de matroos de zebra, de moeder de Orang-Oetan , de kok de hyena en is Pi Richard Parker. Maar welk verhaal nu waar is?

Ik zou zeggen lezen dit boek!! En vorm je eigen mening!
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
I'm not sure that I even know what this book is about yet (I'm about 25 pages in), but I know that I'm going in the hands of a master storyteller. I should have read this years ago. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
This book was born as I was hungry. (Author's Note)
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you
This is the book. Please do not combine with the film.

After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan—and a 450-pound royal bengal tiger.
-Amazon
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

Winner of the 2002 Man Booker Prize for Fiction Pi Patel is an unusual boy. The son of a zookeeper, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior, a fervent love of stories, and practices not only his native Hinduism, but also Christianity and Islam. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes. The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them "the truth." After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional-but is it more true? Life of Pi is at once a realistic, rousing adventure and a meta-tale of survival that explores the redemptive power of storytelling and the transformative nature of fiction. It's a story, as one character puts it, to make you believe in God. Publisher Fact Sheet. A fabulist novel that combines the delight of Kipling's Just So Stories with the metaphysical adventure of Jonah and the Whale.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Yann Martel's book Life of Pi was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 1922

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,798,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible