Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles…

by Don Malarkey

Sgt. Don Malarkey takes us not only into the battles fought from Normandy to Germany, but into the heart and mind of a soldier who beat the odds to become an elite paratrooper, and lost his best friend during the nightmarish engagement at Bastogne. Drafted in 1942, Malarkey became one of the one-in-six soldiers who earned their Eagle wings. He went to England in 1943 to provide cover on the ground for the largest amphibious military attack in history: Operation Overlord. In the darkness of D-day morning, Malarkey parachuted into France and within days was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroism in battle. He fought for twenty-three days in Normandy, nearly eighty in Holland, thirty-nine in Bastogne, and nearly thirty more in and near Haugenau, France, and the Ruhr pocket in Germany. This is his epic story of how an adventurous kid from Oregon became a leader of men.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:wtng
Title:Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
Authors:Don Malarkey
Info:St. Martin's Press (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages

Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers" by Don Malarkey

Last night, I finished reading Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers", the story of Sergeant Don Malarkey of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. Malarkey was one of the key figures in the Band of Brothers series, as a result, I wanted to get to know him a little better. Like all the stories that I've read so far about Easy Company, highlighted in Band of Brothers, this story shared details not yet told. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
What was it like to serve in one of the best platoons of WWII?

Malarkey will tell you! A great personal account of his life- before, during, and after serving with the now famous men of Easy Company. His personal stories not only add to the Band of Brothers book and HBO mini-series but it confirms the important role they played during WWII- in a humble yet straight forward manner.

I just can't get enough of the stories and personal pictures of the brave men of the 101st Airbourne's Screaming Eagles! A must read for any historian and fan of Band of Brothers! ( )
  Shuffy2 | Jul 9, 2010 |
One more book of memoirs to add to the history of the famous WWII E Company, 506th, 101st Airborne Division. Written with the breezy, edgy speaking style of Mr. Malarkey intact, we can imagine ourselves hearing his stories seated across from him. In this particular memoir we are given a vivid description of close relationships formed in a fighting unit and the trauma of losing a close buddy that can last a lifetime. It seems that there is no like comparison in civilian life to this loss. Mr. Malarkey was independent, smart, courageous and responsible--all the qualities that were desired by the Airborne. Another E company soldier whose life was shaped by his war experiences and willing to share them with us. ( )
  seoulful | Jan 5, 2009 |
It may help to be a "Band of Brothers" fanatic to love this book but...it's really well written. If it's possible to gain even more respect for the "Screaming Eagles" after seeing the film, this book will make it happen. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Aug 21, 2008 |
D-Day ( [1944])
To Irene, my wife and best friend of nearly sixty years; I miss you dearly, my darling. To my son, Michael, for listening to my stories over these many years and encouraging me to write this book. And to my three daughters, Martha, Sharon, and Marianne. You have loved an old fuddy-duddy of a dad who was sometimes insensitive to your needs. I love you all.
One shot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,487,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible