A Book of Abstract Algebra by Charles C.…

A Book of Abstract Algebra (1982)

by Charles C. Pinter

Accessible but rigorous, this outstanding text encompasses all of the topics covered by a typical course in elementary abstract algebra. Its easy-to-read treatment offers an intuitive approach, featuring informal discussions followed by thematically arranged exercises. This second edition features additional exercises to improve student familiarity with applications. 1990 edition.… (more)

Great entry-level book for self-learners. Lots of exercises, along with complete prose-based explanations of concepts. Mangling what I read in another review for my own purposes: reads like a novel rather than an equation-based adventure game. ( )
  ztutz | Nov 29, 2011 |
The best math book that doesn't have sex in it (It does have violence in it... sword fights mainly). ( )
  nocklebeast | Jan 6, 2009 |
To my wife, Donna, and my sons, Nicholas, Marco, Andrés, and Adrian
Preface -- Once, when I was a student struggling to understand modern algebra, I was told to view this subject as an intellectual chess game, with conventional moves and prescribed rules of play. I was ill-served by this bit of extemporaneous advice, and vowed never to perpetuate the falsehood that mathematics is purely -- or primarily -- a formalism. My pledge has strongly influenced the shape and style of this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,311,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible