A Hole is to Dig

by Ruth Krauss

Other authors: Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

A book for young children that explains and illustrates simple and easily understood definitions such as a hole is to dig, hands are to hold, and arms are to hug.

Ex-libris Rebecca Schaffner ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
This book contains "definitions" of words based on the author's conversations with kindergartners. You can very easily see how these conversations veered into different word associations (as conversations with very young children often do). For example, "Hands are to make things. Hands are to eat with. A tablespoon is to eat a table with." It's a cute concept but beyond a quick 'aw, that's sweet' response from adults, I don't see a ton of value in this title. I would be hesitant to use it with young children as they might not get the conceit and would walk around with incorrect definitions in their heads. The black-and-white illustrations by Sendak are charming, which is a plus. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 20, 2018 |
This is an informal informational book. It is a book about child projected definitions for hands, buttons, holes, cats, and numerous other things.
I thought it was a sweet book and one children could easily relate to. It lends itself nicely to patterns and the definition of definitions, sort of speak. Great as a starting point for writing assignments about informational pieces or for students who struggle with the concept of a definition.
  wcarlisle15 | Jul 21, 2016 |
I'm sure I read this as a child, but I think I enjoyed it even more this time.
Mud is to jump in and slide in and yell doodledoodledoo."
"A dream is to look at the night and see things."
The book itself is a nice small-format cozy, just right for a child's small hands, perfect to be his own treasure to carry around and dip into often and again.

I want to get it for my own permanent collection, along with the sequel (!) [b:Open House for Butterflies|22765|Open House for Butterflies|Ruth Krauss|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386923640s/22765.jpg|23772]." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Ruth Kraussprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,072,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible