Science of Being and Art of Living: Transcendental Meditation

by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

**RE-RELEASED IN 2016** In the newly updated printing of this unabridged classic, which has reached millions of readers, Maharishi unfolds his vision for "a new humanity developed in all life's values - physical, mental, material, and spiritual."   Soon after Maharishi began his world tours in 1959, his students urged him to commit his great teaching to paper. By 1963 he had completed this fascinating book, which presents what Maharishi calls the Science of Being as the systematic investigation into the ultimate reality of the universe. Like other sciences it begins its investigation from the gross, obvious level of life, and delves more deeply into the subtle levels of the experience of nature. The Science of Being, however, eventually transcends these subtle regions, and reaches the transcendental field of eternal Being.   Like other sciences, the Science of Being includes a practical technology -- the Transcendental Meditation technique -- which is the "technology of consciousness" for directly experiencing the field of Being, the transcendental field of existence, the inner Self of everyone. Through the Transcendental Meditation technique any individual can easily harness the unlimited treasures of this field of Being -- infinite happiness, energy, creativity, intelligence, and organizing power -- bringing maximum success and fulfillment to daily life. This development of full human potential is elaborated in the second half of the book on the Art of Living.  m Re-released in 2016, this printing of Science of Being and Art of Living features a comprehensive Afterword by Dr. Bevan Morris, International President of Maharishi Universities of Management, giving a full retrospective on Maharishi's contributions during his more than 50 years of teaching.   This book gives an excellent introduction to the Transcendental Meditation technique and explains that the practice of this meditation is learned through personal instruction from a certified teacher.  (Worldwide contact information for certified teachers is provided.)… (more)

This is the type of book one can read 100 times and always get something new out of it. For some it might occurr as over simple or pedantic, but it is essentially the arcane wisdom of the East, especially the Vedic culture, in very simple generic terms that make it accessable to modern modes of thinking. I read this after I started doing TM, so I don't know how it occurs for someone who hasn't, or hasn't experienced the equivalent, but I have to imagine it is very different, without that direct experience to really appreciate it. I especially liked his answer to the question, what religion should I choose? His answer is, you might just as well stick with whatever one you have now, because all religions will look much different in a higher state of consciousness. I read this again every few years, and am always glad that I have it on my shelf. ( )
  cliffmon | Sep 8, 2018 |
I read this book when I was in college. It really made a deep impression on me and I learned Transcendental Meditation as a result. For me, both the book and the meditation are great. The book discusses a new paradigm of life. The concept of an omnipresent field of silence called Being which is the foundation of all phenomenal creation. This them is repeated over and over again from many different angles and the author relates it to all fields of a person's life including behavior, diet, relationships etc. I found it to be of real value and I still refer to it and read it, even to this day. ( )
  MissCrabtree | Nov 7, 2010 |
This is book is a theoretical discussion of transcendental meditation. It does not offer a how to guide to practicing TM.

"...the purpose of man's life is to live in a state of unlimited energy, intelligence, power, creativity, and bliss of the absolute Being." p. 65.

The practice of deep transcendental meditation brings human consciousness to God consciousness, cosmic consciousness, Being. One must go beyond the level of thinking, uderstanding, and reasoning to the level of Being. the mind must transcend thinking and feeling in order to arrive at Being.

"When the mind transcends the subtlest state of thinking, it is left all by itself. This is...the state of pure being." p.18.

Once one obtains this state of Being through TM, he or she then brings it into his everyday life in a very fulfilling way.

Unfortunately, this book does not offer a practical guide for TM. The only way to practice TM is under the instruction of a guide trained in TM.

There is a website founded by a former teacher of Tm which explains the practice of TM. It's www.suggestibility.org. This site is very critical of TM's founder Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and even goes so far as to label him a money-grabbing fraud and TM as a dangerous brain-washing technique. Judge for yourself.
  Agreatness100 | Mar 13, 2010 |
To The Lotus Feet of Shri Guru Dev, Swami Brahmanand Saraswati, Bhagwan Shankaracharya, Jyotir-Math, Himalays, and as blessings from Him this book is presented to all lovers of life desirous of enjoying all glories-Worldly and Devine.
Being is Life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,183,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible