Birds, Beasts and Relatives: The Corfu…

Birds, Beasts and Relatives: The Corfu Trilogy, Book 2 (original 1969; edition 2011)

by Gerald Durrell (Author)

Series: Corfu Trilogy (2)

Biography & Autobiography. Nature. Travel. Nonfiction. HTML:

The follow-up to My Family and Other Animals and the inspiration for The Durrells in Corfu: A naturalist's memoir of his family's time on a Greek island.
In the years before World War II, Gerald Durrell's family left the gloomy shores of England for the sun-drenched island of Corfu. Against this picturesque backdrop, Durrell fondly recalls his family's disorderly household and outrageous antics, including their interactions with locals of both human and animal varieties.

After a boyhood spent studying zoology and acquiring the island's exotic insects, reptiles, birds, mammals, and sea creatures as pets, Durrell's budding naturalism would later bloom into a passion for conservation that would last a lifetime.

Filled with clever observations, amusing anecdotes, and childlike wonder, Birds, Beasts and Relatives is half nature guide, half coming-of-age tale, and all charmingly funny memoir.

This ebook features an illustrated biography of Gerald Durrell including rare photos from the author's estate.

.… (more)
Member:ChristinaPace
Title:Birds, Beasts and Relatives: The Corfu Trilogy, Book 2
Authors:Gerald Durrell (Author)
Info:Audible Studios (2011)

Work Information

Birds, Beasts, and Relatives by Gerald Durrell (1969)

English (32)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (37)
Durrell revisits his childhood on Corfu – since clearly he forgot some of the best stories, according to his family. Full of beautiful and silly reminiscences of a different time, a different place. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
When I was eleven years old my grandmother gave me Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals for Christmas. I read it cover to cover before New Years and have reread it several times since. While My Family and Other Animals is very appropriate for an eleven year old Birds, Beasts and Relatives has somewhat more adult content. This is the second of a Corfu Trilogy. Gerald's adventures catching and collecting all kinds of wild creatures and the people he meets on the island of Corfu make for some very amusing tales. The author's older brother Lawrence Durrell lived with the family and brought many interesting and amusing friends to visit. Among the animals in this book are Gerald's donkey, Sara, three dogs, two owls, a toad and a bear that follows Gerry home and shocks the family at tea. A fun book. Just as amusing as the TV series or maybe more so. ( )
  MMc009 | Jan 30, 2022 |
Much like the first book, this was a delight. GD writes beautifully about the natural world, and is hilarious and insightful about humans. Having visited Ionian Greece (Lefkada), these books are especially vivid and just make me desperately want to go back.

All that said, I'm a little bit horrified by the amount of meddling with wild animals done in the name of genuine intellectual pursuit. It's so antithetical to my "leave no trace" and "leave the animals the fuck alone" and "neuter your damn dogs" mentality about being out in nature, not to mention I imagine most of his menagerie would have preferred to go about their business undisturbed. I guess that's the price of human understanding of the world! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Birds, Beasts, and Relatives is one of those books that keeps the party going. As the second book in the Corfu trilogy, Birds includes stories previously untold in My Family and Other Animals. While the Durrell family only spent four years on the Greek island of Corfu, Gerald was able to dig around in his memory and find always humorous and sometimes outrageous and obviously exaggerated situations to share, much to his family's chagrin. They usually involved young Gerald coming across some wild animal and insisting it become part of the family as an honorary pet (such as an owl, given to Gerald by an eccentric Countess). ( )
  SeriousGrace | May 26, 2020 |
ok maybe dated. ( )
  mahallett | Oct 26, 2019 |

Gerald Durrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
夏樹, 池澤Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davenport, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Theodore Stephanides in gratitude for laughter and for learning.
It had been a hard winter, and even when spring was supposed to have taken over, the crocuses - which seemed to have a touching and unshaken faith in the seasons - were having to push their way grimly through a thin crust of snow.

Biography & Autobiography. Nature. Travel. Nonfiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,217,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible