Paddington Here and Now (2008)

by Michael Bond

Series: Paddington (12)

Paddington the bear loses his shopping cart and has his immigration status questioned before receiving a surprise visit from his Uncle Pastuzu.

Young Reader Reaction: My children liked the book, but did not react strongly to it. I think it was partially because the writing used some of the terminology from the United Kingdom, so some of the meanings of key words were lost on my kids. In addition, the humor was a bit more subtle and mature than what is common for books geared towards 4-6 year olds, so perhaps ages 8 and older may have a more positive experience.

Adult Reader Reaction: I liked the book OK. I thought the content was appropriate for kids, as far as providing a positive influence on kids (no violence, no emotional burden, etc.). It was light-hearted and safe. I was not overwhelmed by the writing, but was happy that I felt comfortable reading the book without previewing it first to make sure it would not scare my children or set inappropriate examples.

I was not surprised at my boys' reaction, but I was surprised at mine. I don't recall having read a Paddington story, but from the popularity of this iconic bear, I would have expected a bit more. I don't know if that is because this particular book is not up to the same standards as previous stories, or if it is in perfect alignment with this author's previous works and I would not have raved about his other books, either.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Dec 28, 2013 |
A surprise visit from a long-lost relative is the start of an exciting adventure for Paddington.
  prkcs | Sep 8, 2008 |

Michael Bondprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fortnum, PeggyCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fry, StephenNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alley, R. W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"My shopping basket on wheels has been towed away!" exclaimed Paddington hotly.
"There's another chapter on superstitions," he continued. "It says if you take a three-legged stool and sit at some crossroads while the church clock strikes midnight, it will tell you the names of all those who will die during the next twelve months."
"Very cheering, I must say," said Mrs. Bird. "I know one thing. Anyone who sits on a stool near our crossroads at midnight could well end up at the top of the list."

Contains:

Chapter One: PARKING PROBLEMS
Chapter Two: PADDINGTON'S GOOD TURN
Chapter Three: PADDINGTON STRIKES A CHORD
Chapter Four: PADDINGTON TAKES THE CAKE
Chapter Five: PADDINGTON SPILLS THE BEANS
Chapter Six: PADDINGTON AIMS HIGH
Chapter Seven: PADDINGTON'S CHRISTMAS SURPRISE.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,261,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible