Galactic Dreams by Harry Harrison
110None108,972 (3.55)4

This is a relatively short collection of Harry Harrison short stories. They are:

* I always do what Teddy says: what happens when we abdicate teaching our youngsters moral values to machine, and then don't test that the machine is working correctly? A short story about unit testing?
* Space rats of the CCC: this story is just silly. Its a little bit like Bill the Galactic Hero in style, but also a little bit annoying. It didn't really work for me.
* Down to earth: I'm sure I've read this basic plot line about a billion times, for example Hawk Among the Sparrows being just one example. This one didn't even have a good twist at the end.
* A criminal act: Harrison feels strongly about population grow (see also Make Room, Make Room!). Its pretty obvious in this story, although its not as preachy as Make Room, Make Room.
* Famous first words: I actually really liked this one.
* The Pad - a story of the day after the day after tomorrow: seducing women is hard work for billionaires, apparently.
* If: a pretty standard "don't alter the time lines" tale, with a small if predictable twist.
* Mute Milton: what important discoveries have been lost through the ages through racism or accident?
* Simulated trainer: this is an interesting story -- I quite like the concept, and the execution is more believable than most Harrison stories.
* At last, the true story of Frankenstein: this is a good story too, with a nice twist at the end.
* The robot who wanted to know: a pretty classic robot story, which could just as easily fit in an Asimov collection as a Harrison collection. I'm quite partial to robot stories, and I enjoyed it.
* Bill the Galactic Hero's happy holiday: I've previous complained about the overall style of the Bill the Galactic Hero series. I think it works better as a short story than a novel, because the level of annoyance it develops in the reader is smaller. This was actually better than the novel length Bill stories that I've read so far.

Overall, a solid collection, but not startlingly good.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Harry_Harrison/Galatic_Dreams.html ( )
  mikal | May 22, 2009 |
Just an average collection at 3.25, with no real standouts.

Galactic Dreams : I Always Do What Teddy Says - Harry Harrison
Galactic Dreams : Bill the Galactic Hero's Happy Holiday - Harry Harrison

Bear alteration.

A man is not a camel.

3.5 out of 5

Safe, but captured by alternate Germans. I hate that.

Breeding punishment volunteer.

3.5 out of 5

Two Miskatonic chair certainly is nuts.

Any excuse for us.

Zombie report.

4 out of 5

Robot the horn.

3 out of 5

Booze diversion rescue mission.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2008/07/galactic-dreams-harry-harrison.html ( )
1 vote bluetyson | Jul 24, 2008 |

Twelve stories on a variety of modern concerns treated in a future setting, among them overpopulation, racism, murder and love. Included is a previously unpublished story featuring Bill, the Galactic Hero, a lunatic space soldier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible