Gnomes by Wil Huygen

Gnomes (original 1976; edition 1977)

by Wil Huygen (Author), Rien Poortvliet (Illustrator)

Series: Gnomes (1)

Using a number of sources the author and illustrator have compiled a delightful book on gnomeology. In commemoration of the 20th anniversary of its publication, we're thrilled to reissue this phenomenal delight, which enjoyed 62 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list. Fantasy and fun combine in this "real life" history.… (more)
Member:vittithing
Title:Gnomes
Authors:Wil Huygen (Author)
Other authors:Rien Poortvliet (Illustrator)
Info:Harry N. Abrams (1977), 212 pages

Gnomes by Wil Huygen (1976)

English (29)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (31)
Cute book about gnomes. It's written in a non-fiction style that details everything you would want to know about gnomes, including physiology, culture, and other species related to or sometimes confused with gnomes. It also includes nine folk tales that have to do with gnomes. Overall, this is a fast read with beautiful illustrations, and the deluxe edition comes with 8 prints suitable for framing. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
Che ricordi... lo sapevo a memoria, conoscevo tutte le abitudini, usi e costumi degli gnomi.
Mi ricorda tantissimo la mia infanzia, passavo un sacco di tempo a sfogliarlo e a costruire con la mente viaggi fantastici insieme agli gnomi.
Forse le grafiche oggi risulterebbero poco accattivanti, ma secondo me è un must have per i bambini!!! ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I was sitting around nursing a cold with nothing to read. Crisis. I pulled my elderly copy of this off the bookcase and reread it today. Just totally charming, especially the illustrations. My only issue is that gnome women seem to have very boring lives. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I loved this book growing up. There was a copy on my parents' best friends' coffee table and I could never wait to visit them. I devoured the beautiful illustrations and eventually all the detailed descriptions as well. Will definitely get a copy once my children stop trying to rip up paper! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Underbara illustrationer och texter. Boken påskyndar julstämningen direkt. ( )
  annacarlsson | Sep 12, 2016 |

Lynch, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Negrin, VickyHandwritersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Gnomes (1)
"To my amazement I have heard that there are people who have never seen a gnome. I can't help pitying these people. I am certain there must be something wrong with their eyesight." Axel Munthe
Now, after twenty years of observation, we feel that the time has come to put our experiences and findings on paper, having received permission, of course, from an authorized council of gnomes - which, by the way, took all of five years to make its decision.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,698,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible