Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential…

Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition) (edition 2005)

by Dorothy Allison (Author)

Member:Shadow_Sandy
Title:Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition)
Authors:Dorothy Allison (Author)
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: 58033rd, 320 pages
Tags:to-read, e-books-to-read

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Anonymous user)
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (echo2)
    echo2: These books are both epic, heartbreaking novels that explore the impact of poverty and addiction on families -- albeit they seem nothing alike in any other respect.
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A memoir of childhood resilience and survival, it resonates in a similar way.
    Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa (Anonymous user)
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (SJaneDoe)
    Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler (cataylor)
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (LCBrooks)

Lucinda Williams was the soundtrack for this one. It was swallowed quickly, almost lapped. I felt possessed at times, perhaps sensing some reflections towards my own upbringing. I found the ending elgaic. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
First book by author and is semi-autobiographical, it is set in Greenville, South Carolina in the 50's. For some reason I had originally thought this was the story of a black girl, then realized that Ruth "Bones" Boatwright is white. This is a story of family and family loyalties, Bone suffers abuse at the hands of her stepfather, Daddy Glen, and this book is about not only how Bone deals with the abuse, but how her whole family deals with it. Loyalties are tested and hard choices are made. The family is lower-class and poor in the South in the 50's and 60's and the family members often stick to their traditional gender stereotypes. I thought it was really well written, and the story was engaging. It was a can't put down read for me. Being such a controversial book, I have read plenty on the story line, and I may have even seen the movie once. So I knew the general storyline before I read, but that didn't stop me from wanting to know what would happen next. I cried that whole last chapter because I was so invested in the characters.

For more reviews, please read my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogs.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I had to read this book for a women's studies class in college. This book was the best thing about the class. Many times I wondered how Bone could possibly want to keep going. It would have been easy to just give up entirely growing up in those surroundings, but part of her never did. I always wondered what happened to her later in life.
  sochri | Nov 21, 2017 |
If ever there was a book to fit the cliché of "It's not the story, but HOW the story is told"... this would be it! The writer's craft is amateur at best, and so full of clichés that the reader has a difficult time refraining from rolling his/her eyes throughout the entire book.- As for the actual story... it does deserve to be told, and if the novel is autobiographical, I do hope she finds a better editor to help her revise her craft. ( )
  jkmichelle | Jul 15, 2017 |
A novel that packs a real emotional wallop. Allison clearly knows her subject matter, both people and place - it feels much more like a memoir than a novel. There are a few places where I think some judicious editing would have been helpful, but even without those improvements this is a strong piece of writing. Not for the faint of heart. ( )
  meredk | Feb 16, 2017 |
People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

-James Baldwin
For Mama
Ruth Gibson Allison
1935-1990
I've been called Bone all my life, but my name's Ruth Anne.

This book is fiction, but it comes so real with the feeling of an amateur autobiography. The author is so descriptive, she takes you to the time and place and puts you right there watching it all happen. It was a very captivating, but sad story.

Ruth Ann Boatwright, a South Carolina bastard, tells her life with her family and the emotional and physical violence she experiences.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible