Dexter by Design: A Novel by Jeff Lindsay

Dexter by Design: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (4)

Title:Dexter by Design: A Novel
Authors:Jeff Lindsay
Info:Doubleday (2009), Hardcover, 368 pages

Dexter by Design by Jeff Lindsay

Oh, man. Oh, Dexter.

This book was my favorite of them all. I loved it so, so much. Brilliant intra and interpersonal conflict. He just kept finding himself in the funniest situations (if you like that kind of dark humor, and I do). Loved the end. It just makes me smile. Book 5 is called Dexter is Delicious, and how can you resist a title like that? But Insurgent just came out--so I'll get back to you soon Dexter, very soon. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
great characters. great story. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jan 10, 2015 |
Loved it :)
That characteristic humor of Dexters is always the best ingredient of the book for me. The killer was satisfyingly gory.
Only I have to say is I kept seeing all these clues and dexter was a mile behind catching up...I felt like his brain was slow this time.

Still it was a good read :) ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
This particular Dexter book paralleled the third season of Dexter and involved Dexter "making a mistake" in his murders, along with the children being threatened, and the surprise at the end. I have to wonder whether the writer was brought in as a consultant or the book just happened to match the show...or what was going on.
Also, the book reminded me a lot of Alex Cross, which wasn't exactly a good thing. It had the same weird pacing problem, where things happened too quickly or too slowly, and I was sitting there waiting for something to happen and it didn't.
I rather like Astor and Cody following in Dear Daddy Dexter's footsteps, and walking on the Harry Path, though I think there might have been more done to help them than actually happened.
With a long wait from now until the next Dexter book, perhaps the books will improve in the meanwhile. The show certainly illuminates the books, in that it's possible to hear the characters from the show clearly in my head speaking/performing various functions.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
I think I might be starting to enjoy the television series more than the books. I'm not sure why that is, maybe I'm just not a fan of Lindsay's style. I'm sure it must be frustrating for an author to sell his character/work and have that adaptation exceed his original vision in every way. I found myself bored by this book and lacking ambition to finish it as I felt it was really was not going anywhere.

It seems like it takes forever for anything to come to a conclusion and the novel actually does not reach it's apex until the last 10 pages. Lindsay takes too long setting things up for a pay off that really never feels worthy of his build up. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Lindsay is a fairly indifferent writer, prone to clumsy bare-bones action intermittently padded out with equally clumsy swaths of ultra-specific, banal detail, usually about Miami’s lousy traffic, or exactly what Dexter’s eating. His strength has always been in his fascinating characters, his wryly funny tone, and his grotesque imagery. The last element remains in full force here, but in the face of Dexter's fumblings, the jaunty tone is off, and the book often becomes repetitive.
For fans of such "humor," Jeff Lindsay's new novel, "Dexter by Design," will surely be an enjoyable cup of congealed and gory tea. For others, this book is about as pleasant as a sewer swim, and just about as socially rewarding.
For Hilary, as always
Pardonez moi, Monsieur. Ou est la lune?

Dexter Morgan returns from his honeymoon in Paris and gets to work perfecting his disguise as the perfect husband, father, and investigator, and wondering if he will be able to put his homicidal tendencies to rest, but when a new serial killer is identified, Dexter is once again drawn into the battle for fitting justice.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385518366, Hardcover)

Book Description
The macabre, witty New York Times bestselling series (and inspiration for the #1 Showtime series, Dexter) continues as our darkly lovable killer matches wits with a sadistic artiste--who is creating bizarre murder tableaux of his own all over Miami.

After his surprisingly glorious honeymoon in Paris, life is almost normal for Dexter Morgan. Married life seems to agree with him: he’s devoted to his bride, his stomach is full, and his homicidal hobbies are nicely under control. But old habits die hard--and Dexter’s work as a blood spatter analyst never fails to offer new temptations that appeal to his offbeat sense of justice...and his Dark Passenger still waits to hunt with him in the moonlight.

The discovery of a corpse (artfully displayed as a sunbather relaxing on a Miami beach chair) naturally piques Dexter’s curiosity and Miami’s finest realize they’ve got a terrifying new serial killer on the loose. And Dexter, of course, is back in business.

An Essay by Jeff Lindsay: "Dexter and Me"

My mother called me one night two years ago. "Well," she said. "Now I know you’ve really made it."

"Oh, really?" I said. "What do you mean?"

"I’m watching Jeopardy," she said. "The answer to the last question was, ‘Who is Dexter?’"

A few nights later, my sister called. "You were just on Nancy Grace," she said.

"I was?" I said, very surprised. It didn’t seem like the kind of thing I would forget. "You mean me?"

"No, not you," she snorted, as if I should have known better that someone like me would never be on Nancy Grace. "Dexter. Somebody’s foot washed up on a beach, and she called it a real-life Dexter moment."

And then a few weeks later my agent called. "Did you hear what they named the new robot arm for the space shuttle?" he said.

"Let me guess," I said.

"It’s iconic," my agent said. "That’s a good thing."

And it is. Dexter is iconic. But as my sister was smart enough to pick up on, I am not. I think this is a good thing. I worked in Hollywood for a dozen years, and all I can say about it is that the primitive tribes who think the camera steals your soul were really on to something. So I don’t want to be instantly recognizable--not Tom Cruise famous, not even Stephen King famous.

On the other hand, if Dexter wants fame, that’s fine with me. He deserves it: he’s a fine, upstanding, hardworking guy who is good with kids, thoughtful to co-workers, and helpful around the house. And if he slips away now and then for a little bit of human vivisection--well, nobody’s perfect.

I will admit, though, that lately I’ve begun to suffer what may be the world’s first Edgar Rice Burroughs Complex. Like Burroughs’s Tarzan, my character is known all over the world, and I am still anonymous. That takes some getting used to, even though there are perks. It has given me some wonderful moments--like riding into Times Square in a taxi and seeing Dexter 60 feet tall on the side of the building. "Have you seen that program?" the driver asked me.

"I don’t watch much TV," I said, even though I was staring like a school boy at a peep show.

"There are books, too," he said.

And there are. I hope you will like them. They make wonderful gifts, too. Even better, Nancy Grace and Alex Trebek will never have to see me sweat.--Jeff Lindsay

(Photo © Hilary Hemingway)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:27 -0400)

"Back from his surprisingly glorious honeymoon in Paris, Miami blood spatter analyst Dexter Morgan is one step closer to perfecting his human disguise...But old habits die hard...and Dexter's work for the Miami Police Department never fails to offer up new playmates--bad men who appeal to his offbeat and unshakable sense of justice."--dust jacket.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,781,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible