Little People by Tom Holt

Little People (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Tom Holt (Author)

I was eight years old when I saw my first elf' ... And for unlikely hero Michael it wasn't his last. Michael's unfortunately (but accurately) named girlfriend Cruella, doesn't approve of his obsession with the little people, but the problem is that they won't leave him alone. And who can blame them when it is his own stepfather who is responsible for causing them so much misery. Oh yes. Daddy George knows that elves can do so much more than the gardening. LITTLE PEOPLE is the hilarious new comic novel from Tom Holt. Find out more about this and other Orbit titles at www.orbitbooks.co.uk… (more)
Member:ScapeKonvikt
Title:Little People
Authors:Tom Holt (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Book Group (2003), 384 pages

Little People by Tom Holt (2002)

[a:Tom Holt|9766|Tom Holt|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1246502762p2/9766.jpg] is the English equivalent of [a:Christopher Moore|16218|Christopher Moore|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1200095788p2/16218.jpg]. The big difference is that Mr. Moore puts setup/punchline sets in his chapters, while Mr. Holt is much more subtle and restrained. [a:Douglas Adams|4|Douglas Adams|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1189120061p2/4.jpg] is an apt and accurate comparison. Where they are alike is that they both are not shy about setting up outrageous situations but then living within the constraints set up. They also are both very very funny and well worth reading.

This is his first book (or at least the earliest of his works that our library has) and is a little weak plot-wise. It is still funny but there are long periods where in an effort to make his plot work it gets less funny.

On the other hand it is well worth the read just for the gratuitous shots at Microsoft. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
The ending devalues the book. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and very funny. I was reading bits aloud to everyone. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
A bit Tom Holt by numbers this one, I think even he was bored by the end. Don't make this your first Tom Holt book there are plenty of others much better. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Michael saw his first elf when he was 8. Ever since then, it has plagued him. When an elf makes contact with him at the age of 16 - it totally changes his life and leads him on a very odd adventure that includes a shoe factory, his step father, elfland, and his true love, Cruella.

I totally loved this book. I've read a couple of other Tom Holt stories, and this is the first one that I've really enjoyed reading. I think Tom Holt is too random for me, but this book had a clear plot. I even liked the whiney hero, Michael. I suspect that those who enjoy Tom Holt books will probably not like this one very much.

My only complaint is the ending - it was a bit rushed, but it did make sense in the context of the story. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 10, 2010 |

Tom Holtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cemmick, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was eight years old when I saw my first elf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,238,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible