SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Graceling

by Kristin Cashore

Series: Graceling Realm (1), Seven Kingdoms Trilogy (1)

8,952558673 (4.13)1 / 694
In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (justjukka)
    justjukka: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (hairball, Echocliffs)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (furieous)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (ajwseven)

English (555)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (558)
I felt that efforts to mitigate the heroine's apparent invincibility and endless stamina with emotional ineptitude weren't quite satisfactory. I liked the characters, liked the exploration of of consent and freedom and the concept of having a "grace." The book as a whole didn't keep my attention well, however. An unfortunate combination of writing style and the fact that I read the back cover of BITTERBLUE and essentially spoiled the entirey of GRACELING for myself. (Don't do that, it ruins the mystery.) ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
I love Kristin Cashore's writing style and her characters. I think her world building is excellent although it can get a bit overly complicated at points. I do think the Graceling Realm books started off incredibly strong and got a bit weaker with each subsequent book. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
More of a 4.5, I loved this book and everything about it. Katsa is a strong female character that I can identify with through and through. Highly recommended. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
I was totally ready to rip this book apart in my review when halfway through, but some unexpected developments of character and plot changed my mind. The overall problem I had is the same that Felica Day hit upon in her review. Things seem too sketchy and not thought out throughout a lot of the book. Again and again I found myself yelling out loud, "The character wouldn't do that!", too. It was like after the plot was sketched out, Ms Cashore didn't think through the character's motivations and thoughts anymore.

So, as I said, at 50% the book was on par for a 2-star review. The pace picked up and--more importantly--the characters began to grow. The climb through the pass was especially good for this. Descriptions became more vibrant, history was revealed, and I didn't have to rely on just the basics of a story. By the end of the book I was interested in reading the sequel. Way to pull it out in the end. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this and can't wait to read more. I think if you are a fan of the Throne of Glass series then you will enjoy this as well. If you want to hear all my thoughts on this book, then stay tuned for my August 2020 Wrap Up Vlog coming soon to my YouTube channel called Completely Melanie. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po.

She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,360,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible