Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)

9,488566670 (4.13)1 / 709
In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.
Member:bluelittlegirl
Title:Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
Authors:
Info:Publisher Unknown, 471 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (justjukka)
    justjukka: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (hairball, Echocliffs)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (furieous)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (ajwseven)

English (561)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (564)
I must say I was surprised with this book because I was expecting a tropy YA novel since I just wanted something fun to read. This novel was fun, but better than what I expected.
The main character is a bit overpowered and the characters in general could have been more fleshed out, but there was enough development and interesting action to keep me entertained.

I want to mention that I listened to the audiobook and the cast did a great job. I also really liked the use of music that made me more immersed in the story.

Now, for some spoilers that are not that relevant to the main plot, but made the story better and more original for me.
I appreciate that this book didn't have a love triangle even though I worried that would happen. However, that other guy that liked the main character was shot down so quickly that is almost not even worth the mention. Telling the girl she will change her mind about marriage and children is not the way to go at the proposal.
The main character doesn't wish to marry or have children and, contrary to what usually happens in the books I have read so far, she doesn't change her mind. It seems like such a simple thing and yet I never see it done. A main character that doesn't want to marry and she really doesn't do that by the end? Groundbreaking!
I like that the romance between the two main characters happened slowly and that they could understand each other due to both being graced. I also like the banter they had going on. I appreciate that they were evenly matched in physical strength and wit too. I also found it interesting that the love interest lost his sight by the end and then learned to adapt, but besides that not much changed in his life.
The man with the grace that manipulated the minds of people had such an interesting power that I was a bit disappointed that that part of the story was over so quickly and wasn't explored better.

Overall, I had a good time listening to this. It has still some of the common things in YA fantasy, but it's original enough to stand out. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
Had a hard time making it past the setting and names to connect to the characters, but only at first. So refreshing to see a strong female lead! ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
Unique premise. Well-paced. Likeable, yet fallible characters. Satisfying plot and ending. Leaves you wanting a sequel ( )
  Lunarsong | Jul 3, 2022 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
It's wholesome and without sugar sweetness at the end. It feels real enough to exist just outside our realm. And I like the idea of Graces - even with all the bad things attached.

And I honestly don't understand people going on about the feminist agenda and empowerment of women. I just don't. Maybe I lack some solid education in literature to spot what is wrong with this outstanding story?

The main character is a woman. A woman with a unique Grace. What's wrong with that? Not every woman loves dresses. And there is nothing wrong with teaching girls how to defend themselves with and without weapons. And in truth, I was relieved that there was such a non-traditional approach to marriage. I don't really see how institutionalised marriage can help keep people together. But maybe that's just me.

This is a good story and, personally, I see nothing wrong with it. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Great new take on traditional fantasy. Love the characters and couldn't put it down!

Felt the need to re-read. Was not at all disappointed to reacquaint myself with these complicated and stubborn characters. The world building is still excellent, and the ethical struggles of might making right resonate very well today. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.
This is the original novel by Kristin Cashore. Please do not combine with the graphic novel adapted and illustrated by Gareth Hinds.

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po.

She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,984,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible