Red Knife by William Kent Krueger
    Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Well written, memorable characters, good suspense.

Although I enjoyed this book as I usually do Krueger's books, it didn't seem quite so good as some of his others. The murder plot seemed to be resolved without any suspense and little action, which confused me until the end scene of the book. I kind of wish the author had included this as a completely separate story idea more fully expanded in a separate book. Still, Krueger is one of my favorite crime fiction authors, and that won't be changing any time soon. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Difficult to get into the book, although it started with a lot of action. Had trouble following who was who. Many characters had several names for same person. Perseverance paid off as the setting helped plant the people in their character's role.

Good who-done-it, with many side plots and twists that didn't give the obvious solution.

Presented family values that tied into plot.

Krueger's chapter endings always left one to think.

Did great job at solving all loose ends and side problems without hurrying to complete it, but certainly not dragging it out.

Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
Deciding upon a rating for this book gave me pause. I did not enjoy the first 3/4 of this book, and had to force myself to slog through it -- a first for a WKK novel. On the other hand, the final few scenes were perhaps the most powerful WKK has written.

As he did with the last Cork O'Connor novel, WKK again digs into his bag of literary tricks. At one point he switches from past tense -- the standard for Cork O'Connor novels -- to present tense. My initial reaction to this change was to shrug it off as a silly gimmick. As I continued to turn the pages, however, I recognized that WKK's choice in this regard truly served to leave a powerful impression with his readers -- this reader included. It was a memorable scene that I won't soon forget.

That said, I can't forgive this book for the snore-inducing events that led to the grand finale, especially given that the final scene is only loosely connected to story's primary thread. ( )
  HenryJOlsen | May 21, 2016 |
The Cork O'Connor mysteries are always consistently very good. But, this one seems the best so far. There are lots of twists and the book was very hard to put down. The plot was well-structured and the story was told well. I highly recommend this series but they should be read in order as the stories build one upon the other. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Another good entry in an excellent series. As the man in the middle, Cork continues to resolve problems that involve "the People" ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 9, 2014 |

O'Connor is caught in the middle of a gang dispute between the Aurora Anglos and the Ojibwe Reservation Red Boyz, a situation that turns deadly when the Red Boyz leader and his wife are found murdered.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible