Red Knife by William Kent Krueger
210None55,500 (3.95)16
    Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Well written, memorable characters, good suspense.

A murder mystery with lots more going on, this book deals with family, loyalty, violence, alienation, and race, all while being a page-turner. ( )
  sleahey | Jan 23, 2013 |
William Kent Kreuger's mystery series featuring Cork O'Connor seemed, in my mind, to start out relatively slowly. I felt that it wasn't until his fourth or fifth book that he really hit his stride. I'm very thankful that I had bought up his complete series before beginning to read them (based on an enthusiastic review I read of a later book).. otherwise I might have given up on the series early on and missed some really great stories. And in hindsight even the early books have a great deal to offer.

The novels are set in rural, northern Minnesota for the most part with the action shifting to The U.P. of Michigan in one story and to Wyoming in another. Mr. Kreuger gives Cork O'Connor a family life that is anything but 'storybook'. From one end to the other this is a loving, but modern family, with real life modern problems that they do manage to get resolved. Fairly early in the series, the stories begin increasingly encompassing Cork's and his family's Native American connection to good advantage!

This is a very good and satisfying series which I gobbled up faster and faster towards the end. Now I have to sit and eagerly await the next Cork O'Connor adventure. This is a series where the books could be read as stand alones, but for maximum enjoyment I would strongly recommend reading them in the order that they were written. ( )
  jastbrown | Feb 27, 2012 |
When the daughter of a powerful businessman dies as a result of her meth addiction, her father, strong-willed and brutal Buck Reinhardt, vows revenge. His target is the Red Boyz, a gang of Ojibwe youths accused of supplying the girl's fatal drug dose. When the head of the Red Boyz and his wife are murdered in a way that suggests execution, the Ojibwe gang mobilizes, and the citizens of Tamarack County brace themselves for war, white against red. Both sides look to Cork O'Connor, a man of mixed heritage, to uncover the truth behind the murders. ( )
  jepeters333 | Dec 11, 2011 |
This is another in the series telling of the life of Cork O'Conner and those in his family and community. The story deals with many issues that face us in everyday life: drugs, gangs, tentions among the citizens and family relationships. Krueger has a way of drawing the reader into the story with the mysteries of the story and the lore of the Indian way of life. I did not think this was as good as his other books that I have read, but still it was well worth reading. ( )
  CandyH | Dec 3, 2011 |
Favorite series, favorite book, favorite audiobook reader. ( )
  Localhostess | Dec 4, 2010 |

O'Connor is caught in the middle of a gang dispute between the Aurora Anglos and the Ojibwe Reservation Red Boyz, a situation that turns deadly when the Red Boyz leader and his wife are found murdered.

54 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,417,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible