Red Knife by William Kent Krueger
    Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Well written, memorable characters, good suspense.

Deciding upon a rating for this book gave me pause. I did not enjoy the first 3/4 of this book, and had to force myself to slog through it -- a first for a WKK novel. On the other hand, the final few scenes were perhaps the most powerful WKK has written.

As he did with the last Cork O'Connor novel, WKK again digs into his bag of literary tricks. At one point he switches from past tense -- the standard for Cork O'Connor novels -- to present tense. My initial reaction to this change was to shrug it off as a silly gimmick. As I continued to turn the pages, however, I recognized that WKK's choice in this regard truly served to leave a powerful impression with his readers -- this reader included. It was a memorable scene that I won't soon forget.

That said, I can't forgive this book for the snore-inducing events that led to the grand finale, especially given that the final scene is only loosely connected to story's primary thread. ( )
  HenryJOlsen | May 21, 2016 |
The Cork O'Connor mysteries are always consistently very good. But, this one seems the best so far. There are lots of twists and the book was very hard to put down. The plot was well-structured and the story was told well. I highly recommend this series but they should be read in order as the stories build one upon the other. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Another good entry in an excellent series. As the man in the middle, Cork continues to resolve problems that involve "the People" ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 9, 2014 |
A murder mystery with lots more going on, this book deals with family, loyalty, violence, alienation, and race, all while being a page-turner. ( )
  sleahey | Jan 23, 2013 |
William Kent Kreuger's mystery series featuring Cork O'Connor seemed, in my mind, to start out relatively slowly. I felt that it wasn't until his fourth or fifth book that he really hit his stride. I'm very thankful that I had bought up his complete series before beginning to read them (based on an enthusiastic review I read of a later book).. otherwise I might have given up on the series early on and missed some really great stories. And in hindsight even the early books have a great deal to offer.

The novels are set in rural, northern Minnesota for the most part with the action shifting to The U.P. of Michigan in one story and to Wyoming in another. Mr. Kreuger gives Cork O'Connor a family life that is anything but 'storybook'. From one end to the other this is a loving, but modern family, with real life modern problems that they do manage to get resolved. Fairly early in the series, the stories begin increasingly encompassing Cork's and his family's Native American connection to good advantage!

This is a very good and satisfying series which I gobbled up faster and faster towards the end. Now I have to sit and eagerly await the next Cork O'Connor adventure. This is a series where the books could be read as stand alones, but for maximum enjoyment I would strongly recommend reading them in the order that they were written. ( )
  jastbrown | Feb 27, 2012 |

O'Connor is caught in the middle of a gang dispute between the Aurora Anglos and the Ojibwe Reservation Red Boyz, a situation that turns deadly when the Red Boyz leader and his wife are found murdered.

30 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,918,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible