Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just After Sunset (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Stephen King (Author)

4,4391231,925 (3.71)1 / 147
This collection of short works is comprised of pieces that previously appeared in such publications as The New Yorker, Playboy, and McSweeney's, in a volume that includes such tales as ""The Gingerbread Girl"" and "N."
Member:ashelocke
Title:Just After Sunset
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2008), 367 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

Pet Sematary / Carrie / Night Shift by Stephen King (2008)

English (113)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (122)
Fun, fast, and just frightening enough. ( )
  ashelocke | Jun 10, 2021 |
I love short stories and I love SK's tale telling. These were excellent. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Mostly pretty good, although there are a few real clunkers. The good: "Willa", which manages to be both sweet and haunting, "The Gingerbread Girl", which is a thriller in that exacting way King has, and "N." which is one of the better (maybe the best?) attempts at a modern Lovecraft story. The rough: "The Cat from Hell", which shows its pedigree as an older story, and "Graduation Afternoon", which feels weirdly unfinished. Ultimately, though, King is still up there in the ranks of the masters. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I've literally just started this collection of short stories. I guess I'm procrastinating on starting "Under the Dome". With most authors I might glance at the first paragraph of the introduction and then skip to the book. King is one of the few authors whose introductions I read. At least to me, King displays an "earthiness" (not sure that's the best description) in his introductions that tells me that he is not just telling a story but also a cathartic exercise. I start the first story "Willa" and I have to smile. I've backpacked in the Wind River Range so when I see a character named Lander I'm amused. Lander is a town on the edge of the WRR. - I'm going to like this I can tell all ready.

"Willa" - This one sort of fell flat for me. There was a Buddhist element (seeing things as they are) to the story. Not much suspense and no twist at the end.

"The Gingerbread Girl" - Classic King. I'm glad this was a short story otherwise it would have been another "allnightter". I could easily see this evolving into a novella where Em has to deal with her demons from this incident.

"Harvey's Dream" - This one just missed being great IMO. Another more tantalizing clue would have would have reality deliver the "right hook".

"Rest Stop" - This one didn't do much for me. There was a sentance near the end that would haave made a great (IMO) opening. ..."Because under the right circumstances, anyone could end up anywhere, doing anything." This speaks to the monster lurking within all of us and everytime we let it out it gets a little stronger.

"Stationary Bike" Being a cyclist and using a trainer sometimes this story struck a chord. I did like Richard's idea of rather than just riding for a specified time he mapped out a journey and than rode it. I would prefer to do without the rest of his "trip". The story was a bit quirky but interesting. The quirkiness worked though because it keeps the outcome in doubt.

feralcatbob | Dec 22, 2020 |
this is a pretty solid collection of kind of strange-happening sort of stories. there's less overt supernatural stuff than he usually seems to like in his short stories, and i appreciate that. there are a handful of very human stories in this book, and it's a collection that is less gory and scary than, say, night shift, and so more up my alley.

thematically it is more about loss and grief, and death/dying (and sometimes what comes after) than his usual fare of evil residing and continuing on (in places or objects), as well as his standard fare of relationships, which suits me. i particularly liked the stories stationary bike, the things they left behind, n., excepting one complaint about that one, and the new york times at special bargain rates. and i particularly wish he hadn't gone quite as far as he did a couple of times (like in the cat from hell i believe it's a much stronger story if the cat just kills the hitman and runs away when the other car stops. there's no reason to take it that one or two steps further where the cat actually crawls down his throat and then out his stomach. this is often my complaint with king stories, when i have them. and in n., otherwise a very very strong story, there is no reason for the doctor's spelling to revert. again, this story is stronger if he just loses his mind; adding that in takes away from the power of everything else that is happening.

from harvey's dream: "She might sometimes be bored by integrity, but she knows what it is." ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Dec 9, 2020 |

Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziemba, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Contains

"I can fancy what you saw. Yes; it is horrible enough; but after all, it is an old story, an old mystery played....Such forces cannot be named, cannot be spoken, cannot be imagined except under a veil and a symbol, a symbol to the most of us appearing a quaint, poetic fancy, to some a foolish tale. But you and I, at all events, have known something of the terror that may dwell in the secret place of life, manifested under human flesh; that which is without form taking to itself a form. Oh, Austin, how can it be? How is it that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing, the hard earth melt and boil beneath such a burden?" -- Arthur Machen, The Great God Pan
For Heidi Pitlor
One day in 1972, I came home from work and found my wife sitting at the kitchen table with a pair of gardening shears in front of her.

Contains the following stories;
Ayana
A Very Tight Place

AR 5.9, 21 pts

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,966,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible