Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Doctor Zhivago (original 1957; edition 1997)

by Boris Pasternak

7,38199477 (3.88)1 / 517
Member:obsessedbybooks
Title:Doctor Zhivago
Authors:Boris Pasternak
Info:Pantheon (1997), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Epic, Russian Literature, Classics, Historical Fiction, Love/Romance, Political, Russia, Russian Revolution, War, Nobel Prize, Made into Movie

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (1957)

All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is one of my favourite books; it explores themes of modernity, providing a fresh insight moving away from the idea that modernity is about fixed repeated sequences. It works through various texts from Goethe, Marx and Baudelaire, through to works created in St Petersburg by authors living in a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by in another world. This is why I would suggest it to anyone fascinated by Russian literature as it gives a brilliant new perspective on the reasons behind their writing.… (more)
    Generations of Winter by Vasily Aksyonov (DelphineM)

English (91)  Yiddish (2)  French (2)  Hebrew (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  English (99)
Sigh. I sort of hate myself for not liking this book. I really wanted to love it, but I could not get into it and I struggled to the end. Hugely disappointing. I will reread someday and hopefully have a better experience. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I tried... I really did... Couldn't get more than 50 pages in before I had to give up. The story and the writing wasn't holding my interest and the plethora of names the author throws at you gets confusing pretty quickly. Might come back to it at another time...
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Didn't finish.
  shesinplainview | Aug 30, 2016 |
Doctor Zhivago is a star-crossed romance set against a backdrop of civil war and social upheaval. It’s grand on the scale of Gone With the Wind and every bit as sad. I only wish I’d read the newer English translation. My copy was the 1958 translation by Max Hayward and Manya Harari and much of it was just not natural sounding or very easy to understand.
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
One of the most painfully boring books I ever had to read. Yes I know its a classic and I am probably not intelligent enough to understand it, but I won't lie. I was bored, often confused on who they were talking about and I didn't really like any of the characters. I didn't understand the fascination with Laura, and quite frankly thought Tonya was far more intriguing. Even watched the movie and this is one case in which I enjoyed the movie more than the book. That being said, I didn't love the movie either. I actually wanted to create a Staff UnPick sticker for this one. Positive note though as we read this for book club, we had a fabulous Russian dinner and I learned to appreciate good vodka. I made a fabulous Stalin's Georgian Lamb Stew. The recipe came from a book by Jason Matthews called Palace of Treason. ( )
  mountie9 | Feb 16, 2016 |

Reschke, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheepmaker, NicoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zveteremich, PietroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On they went, singing "Rest Eternal," and whenever they stopped, their feet, the horses, and the gusts of wind seemed to carry on their singing.
The fear known as spymania had reduced all speech to a single formal, predictable patter. The display of good intentions in discourse was not conductive to conversation.
Book. DO NOT combine with film.

n celebration of the 40th anniversary of its original publication, here is the only paperback edition now available of the classic story of the life and loves of a poet/physician during the turmoil of the Russian Revolution.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:44 -0400)

Yuri Zhivago, doctor and poet, lives and loves during the first three decades of 20th-century Russia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,687,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible