Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Doctor Zhivago (original 1957; edition 1997)

by Boris Pasternak

7,28398487 (3.88)1 / 507
Member:obsessedbybooks
Title:Doctor Zhivago
Authors:Boris Pasternak
Info:Pantheon (1997), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Epic, Russian Literature, Classics, Historical Fiction, Love/Romance, Political, Russia, Russian Revolution, War, Nobel Prize, Made into Movie

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (1957)

All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is one of my favourite books; it explores themes of modernity, providing a fresh insight moving away from the idea that modernity is about fixed repeated sequences. It works through various texts from Goethe, Marx and Baudelaire, through to works created in St Petersburg by authors living in a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by in another world. This is why I would suggest it to anyone fascinated by Russian literature as it gives a brilliant new perspective on the reasons behind their writing.… (more)
    Generations of Winter by Vasily Aksyonov (DelphineM)

English (90)  Yiddish (2)  French (2)  Hebrew (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (98)
Doctor Zhivago is a star-crossed romance set against a backdrop of civil war and social upheaval. It’s grand on the scale of Gone With the Wind and every bit as sad. I only wish I’d read the newer English translation. My copy was the 1958 translation by Max Hayward and Manya Harari and much of it was just not natural sounding or very easy to understand.
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Doctor Zhivago tells the story of Yury Zhivago, a man torn between his love for two women while caught in the tumultuous course of twentieth century Russian history. Yury's mother dies when he is still a young boy, and he is raised by his uncle Kolya. He enrolls at the university in Moscow, studying medicine. There he meets Tonya, and the two marry and have a son, Sasha.

Yury becomes a medical officer in the army and is stationed in a small town. He meets Lara, a woman whom he has seen twice before. The first time, he visited the house of a woman who tried to commit suicide, and he saw Lara, the woman's daughter, exchanging glances with an older man, Komarovsky. The second time, Lara tried to shoot Komarovsky at a party and instead wounded a prosecutor from the courts. Lara is married to Pasha, a young soldier who is missing, and she has come west to find him. She has a daughter, Katya, whom she has left in Yuryatin, her birthplace in the Urals.

Yury is captivated by Lara, but he returns to his wife and son in Moscow. Times are difficult, and the family must struggle to find food and firewood. They decide to move east to Varyniko, an estate once owned by Tonya's grandfather but now being worked as a collective. The journey is long and difficult, but when they arrive they find plenty of food and wood. Yury goes to the nearest city, Yuryatin, to use the library. There, he sees Lara once more. They begin an affair that lasts two months before Yury decides to break off contact and confess all to his wife. On his way, he is captured by the partisan army, which conscripts him as a medical officer.

Yury is forced to remain with the army through the end of the war between the Tsarist Whites and the Communist Reds. When he is released, he returns to Yuryatin to find Lara. The two spend several months together, and then they go to Varykino to hide. Lara's former husband, Pasha, became a leader in the Urals but is now wanted. Komarovsky returns and urges them to go east with him to avoid being killed. Yury's family has been exiled to Paris, and he is promised the opportunity to join them. Yury tricks Lara into taking her daughter and going with Komarovsky, while he remains at Varykino.

Yury returns to Moscow and finds work. He begins living with Marina, the daughter of a family friend. He and Marina have two children. Yury's old friends Misha and Nicky encourage him to resolve his divided loyalties toward Tonya and Marina. He finds a new job but on the way to his first day at work he dies of a heart attack. Lara comes to the funeral and asks Yury's half-brother, a lawyer, if there is any way to track the location of a child given away to strangers. She stays for several days and then disappears, likely dying in a concentration camp. Years later, Misha and Nicky are fighting in World War II and encounter a laundry-girl, Tanya, who tells them her life story. They determine that she is the daughter of Lara and Yury. ( )
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
One of the most painfully boring books I ever had to read. Yes I know its a classic and I am probably not intelligent enough to understand it, but I won't lie. I was bored, often confused on who they were talking about and I didn't really like any of the characters. I didn't understand the fascination with Laura, and quite frankly thought Tonya was far more intriguing. Even watched the movie and this is one case in which I enjoyed the movie more than the book. That being said, I didn't love the movie either. I actually wanted to create a Staff UnPick sticker for this one. Positive note though as we read this for book club, we had a fabulous Russian dinner and I learned to appreciate good vodka. I made a fabulous Stalin's Georgian Lamb Stew. The recipe came from a book by Jason Matthews called Palace of Treason. ( )
  mountie9 | Feb 16, 2016 |
Interesting story but way less love story than expected. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Feb 6, 2016 |

Prins, AaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheepmaker, NicoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zveteremich, PietroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On they went, singing "Rest Eternal," and whenever they stopped, their feet, the horses, and the gusts of wind seemed to carry on their singing.
The fear known as spymania had reduced all speech to a single formal, predictable patter. The display of good intentions in discourse was not conductive to conversation.
Book. DO NOT combine with film.

n celebration of the 40th anniversary of its original publication, here is the only paperback edition now available of the classic story of the life and loves of a poet/physician during the turmoil of the Russian Revolution.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:44 -0400)

Yuri Zhivago, doctor and poet, lives and loves during the first three decades of 20th-century Russia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,424,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible