Star Trek Log Two by Alan Dean Foster

Star Trek Log Two (1974)

by Alan Dean Foster

420640,412 (3.23)4

The next in Alan Dean Foster's series of novelizations of Star Trek: The Animated Series, published in August 1974, two months following its predecessor, is Star Trek Log Two, which adapts "The Survivor", "The Lorelei Signal", and "The Infinite Vulcan".

None of the stories in this volume are particularly strong.

In "The Survivor", a shape-shifting alien impersonates Carter Winston, a wealthy trader and sort of gentleman adventurer in space (who is conveniently engaged to a member of Kirk's crew). The deception is discovered and war with the Romulans averted. The blurb for this story on my copy of the book reads "Our old friend Carter Winston is back aboard the Enterprise for a visit--or is he?" which is just comically wrong.

In "The Lorelei Signal", the men of the Enterprise have their youth and strength stolen from them by a group of beautiful, immortal women, until they are eventually rescued by a group of female security officers led by Uhura. The space sirens just want to live normal lives, apparently, so they let bygones be bygones.

"The Infinite Vulcan" is the most absurd of the three: Kirk and company are menaced by sapient plants led by (the clone of) a scientist, Keniclius, who is intent on taking over the galaxy with an army of giant clones of Spock. They talk him out of it, though.

Foster's writing is good, as usual, but that's not enough to save these mediocre stories. Unless, like me, you just want to read every Trek book, I'd give this one a miss. ( )
  Sopoforic | Apr 30, 2017 |
Fun Read. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
I thought this was a pretty good trio of stories. I've never watched the Animated Series before, so these are all new to me. I've been watching each episode on Hulu after reading each one. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Collected short story versions of the animated TV show. Standard Star Trek stuff. I like Foster, but the attraction of the story versions of the original scripts was the great collection of authors. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 6, 2009 |
For
Mom and Dad

Without whose sincerer cooperation,
   This author wouldn't have been possible.
The Survivor:

Space is not silent.

This is a novelization of three episodes/ of Star Trek (the animated series): "The Infinite Vulcan", "The Lorelei Signal", and "The Survivor".
    --------------------------------------------

More lively adaptations from television's most popular science-fiction series!
            - Complete in this volume: -
  • The Survivor
    Our old friend Carter Winston is back aboard the Enterprise for a visit - or is he?
  • The Lorelei Signal
    A strange 'Siren's song" calls the men of the Enterprise to an exotic planet - Lt Uhura to the rescue!
  • The Infinite Vulcan - On a routine mission to Phylos, Spock is mysteriously kidnapped - he faces a dubious future!

STAR TREKThe show that would not die ...
(fly cover)
Back in 1966 Gene Roddenberry convinced NBC-TV to give sophisticated science fiction a try, and Star Trek was launched. Getting the show on the air was a triumph in itself; keeping it on the air was something else again.
[Especially as they kept moving the time slot in the 2nd season, and finally in the 3rd season giving it the 11 pm-12 am slot]
Toward the end of the second season there were rumors of impending cancellation.

Viewers passionately devoted to the series deluged the network with letters of protest. Loyal fans picketed NBC's offices both in California and New York. The Save Star Trek Campaign  - one of the most phenomenal expressions of viewer interest in the history of tv - worked.

So Star Trek was back on the air for a third season. Alas, however, many factors combined to lower the program's ratings, giving the network the ammunition it needed to cancel the series.

[Remember, ratings are from the Neilson families - and the same small group has dictated what we watch since the beginning of TV. They will occasionally let someone else have a ballot just to pretend to be sampling all - but it's the same dedicated families for the last 70 years)

But Still fans wanted more ...

Books about Star Trek were (and are - 2013)published, each one selling hundreds of thousands of copies to the faithful. Star Trek conventions all over hte country attracted thousands of fans.

And now we have the exciting animated Star Trek. All the original actors (at leasat their voices) are back abaord the starship Enterprise, assuring success.

Ballantine proudly launches the STAR TREK LOG series, publishing all the exciting new stories in paperback for the first time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,520,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible