Epistemology of the Closet by Eve Kosofsky…

Epistemology of the Closet (original 1990; edition 2008)

by Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick

Since the late 1980s, queer studies and theory have become vital to the intellectual and political life of the United States. This has been due, in no small degree, to the influence of Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's critically acclaimed Epistemology of the Closet. Working from classic texts of European and American writers--including Melville, James, Nietzsche, Proust, and Wilde--Sedgwick analyzes a turn-of-the-century historical moment in which sexual orientation became as important a demarcation of personhood as gender had been for centuries. In her preface to this updated edition Sedgwick places the book both personally and historically, looking specifically at the horror of the first wave of the AIDS epidemic and its influence on the text.… (more)
Member:renandfiona
Title:Epistemology of the Closet
Authors:Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick
Info:University of California Press (2008), Edition: 2, Paperback, 280 pages

Work Information

Epistemology of the Closet by Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick (1990)

Theory generally really makes my brain hurt, and this book was not the exception. That said, I found that the arguments that Sedgwick makes in the 60 page introduction are convincing, even if the context is now quite dated. I found less to be excited about in the chapters that provide an in-depth analysis of particular literary works, largely because I haven't read the majority of the books she focuses on. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
  QAHC_CCCL | Jul 21, 2009 |
This is a tour-de-force examination of epistemological questions as they arise from and pertain to the closet - in which homosexual may live sheltered, private lives. I confess that as no trained philosopher, her intricate paths sometimes make me re-read her arguments in order to grasp her meaning. Other times, I find myself moving on in wonder. Yet what I can understand is well worth my time and trouble. She re-evaluates and questions what it means to be gay or straight - not sexually but in society, in one's existence. ( )
1 vote AlexTheHunn | Nov 12, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible