The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Khaled Hosseini

46,538119820 (4.2)1 / 904
Traces the unlikely friendship of a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant's son in a tale that spans the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy through the atrocities of the present day.
Member:clawton1
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead (2004), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 402 pages

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (15)

English (1,068)  Dutch (40)  Spanish (23)  Danish (12)  German (10)  French (8)  Swedish (6)  Italian (6)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Croatian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,194)
Heart wrenching but absolutely amazing. By the end I was crying with a smile on my face. ( )
  Saraiest | Sep 17, 2021 |
This is a wonderfully woven together story exploring many aspects of growing up in Afghanistan and coming to the United States. It explores some of the underlying dynamics of the current tension in the region. ( )
  Aldon.Hynes | Sep 14, 2021 |
A book about friendship, brotherhood, loyalty, honour, dignity and much more. From Kabul to US, join Amir on a memorable journey that will thaw even the strongest mind.

"I read once that, in Malaysia, they use kites to catch fish."

Here is my full review:
https://www.sholee.net/2020/05/mpov-kite-runner.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
Beautiful... Yeah...
Just beautiful...
Going through the journey, you can actually feel Afghanistan, be a part of it. The old one.
It surely was a beautiful country and Khaled has picturized it well.
Amir has his "sin" washed and Sohrab would feel "clean" one day... The day would come... Soon! :) ( )
  abhijeetkumar | Aug 22, 2021 |
Lange, seeehhr lange bin ich um dieses Buch herumgeschlichen. So ziemlich alle meine Lese-Freunde hatten es gelesen und sprachen in den höchsten Tönen davon. Ich hatte immer so eine Ahnung, dies könnte einfach nicht "mein" Buch sein, ohne das näher begründen zu können. Aber eines Tages gab ich mir einen Ruck. Und wurde nicht enttäuscht, dahingehend, dass mein Bauchgefühl richtig war. Ich will hier gar nicht im Einzelenen erläutern, was es letztendlich war, das mich gestört hat. Nur soviel... keiner dieser Personen hat mich tiefer berührt. Die Geschichte konnte mich nicht fesseln. Gegen Ende wollte ich nur noch, dass sie vorbei war. Angesichts der übrragend vielen guten Rezensionen denke ich, es liegt nicht am Buch. Es liegt einfach daran, dass das Buch und ich nicht füreinander bestimmt sind. Niemand möge ich von meiner Meinung davon abhalten lassen, es zu lesen. ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Hosseini, Khaledprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,249,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible