The Kite Runner (Riverhead Essential…

The Kite Runner (Riverhead Essential Editions) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Khaled Hosseini (Author)

47,601123219 (4.2)1 / 911
Traces the unlikely friendship of a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant's son in a tale that spans the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy through the atrocities of the present day.
Member:Kheiman1
Title:The Kite Runner (Riverhead Essential Editions)
Authors:Khaled Hosseini (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2005), Edition: Translation, 384 pages

Work Information

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (15)

English (1,098)  Dutch (40)  Spanish (23)  Danish (12)  German (11)  French (8)  Italian (8)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Croatian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,228)
A very compelling story. Beautiful images and a story line that keeps the reader riveted. ( )
  Richard_Bradshaw | Jan 22, 2022 |
I'm not sure when I read Kite Runner, but I it moved me. I've since re-read the book and seen the movie, which does not stray far from the book. I also recommend Khaled Hosseini's other books and The Khaled Hosseini Foundation which help women and children in Afghanistan. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
The Kite Runner is my introduction to Khaled Hosseini, and it's a good one.

The tale Hosseini weaves is one of sorrow and redemption, primarily set in his native Afghanistan during the fall of the monarchy and the rise of Soviet invasion. Against this backdrop Hosseini creates a relationship between a privileged boy, Amir, in the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, and the boy, Hassan, who lives as the son of a trusted servant/friend of Amir's father.

Hosseini is an accomplished writer who creates a complex story of violence, betrayal, broken trust, of the labyrinth of familial relationships, of secrets created to protect and which ultimately fail. It is a history of tribal fighting and destructive discrimination. It is a story of failure, of guilt, and in the end, redemption which may leave you weeping. It did me.

And through all this is the theme of competitive kite flying, of glass-imbedded thread which can slice fingers to ribbons. It is a clever and sobering metaphor for innocence in the face of violence.

This is one of those rare books I will procure in hardcover to have a place on my library shelves, a book I will return to again and again as I do with anything by classical writers like Hardy and Conrad. I think you may find The Kite Runner unforgettable. ( )
  fiverivers | Jan 4, 2022 |
This is a brilliantly written novel about redemption. The author uses beautiful language, imagery and symbolism to tell a seamless narrative that flows with his protagonist from Afghanistan to America to Pakistan and back to Afghanistan . There are no jolts or dislocation from the varied locales; instead the reader is treated to glimpses of life and culture in each location while exploring themes of classism, racism, fatherly love, sibling rivalry, cowardice, forgiveness , and most importantly redemption. Although this novel is not about Afghanistan , Afghanistan does feature prominently in the novel because it is impossible to divorce people from their place of birth. However read the novel mostly for the characters because it sketches but does not fully paint Afghan culture. ( )
  em1973 | Jan 3, 2022 |
We read about the young boy Amir as he grows up in a peacefull Afghanistan. But as the war starts we get to follow his and his Baba's journey to America and their life there.

The book tells us about how it is having to move from your country because of war and to adapt to the new country. It is about shame, betrayal and revenge. But also about friendship, loyalty and forgiveness.

This book should be mandatory to read, both in schools and at home. ( )
  Thassa | Nov 30, 2021 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Hosseini, Khaledprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,236,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible