Cometas en el cielo (Spanish Edition) by…

Cometas en el cielo (Spanish Edition) (original 2003; edition 2007)

by Khaled Hosseini

49,173126720 (4.19)1 / 929
Traces the unlikely friendship of a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant's son in a tale that spans the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy through the atrocities of the present day.
Member:fugaz_42
Title:Cometas en el cielo (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Salamandra (2007), Paperback, 382 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (15)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Book talk: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini10 unread / 10Happytohelp1403, October 2019

English (1,125)  Dutch (40)  Spanish (24)  Danish (12)  German (11)  French (8)  Italian (8)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (4)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,257)
Good story about precarious lives. ( )
  mykl-s | Nov 25, 2022 |
Fantastic! ( )
  Pilgriminal | Nov 12, 2022 |
The book begins by leading you to think it may be sad, it is sad, and continues to be sad almost the whole way through.
Apart from that, the story itself was enjoyable, albeit I found the narration vaguely irritating at times.
However, I did enjoy the overall narrative and its themes throughout, and especially found the setting and context interesting. Hosseini's style made it an easy and engaging read. ( )
  Detective-Stories | Nov 6, 2022 |
The Kite Runner is one book that has stayed close with me every time I have read it. I still remember the first time I went through it. It was on a very long train journey. I read it through whatever daylight was available and I ended up crying my heart out. Thanks for me, the second AC compartment had curtains to hide my eyes every time I teared up.
  Azmir_Fakir | Oct 31, 2022 |
My review probably has spoilers. I really liked the book. I liked the story of a young boy's childhood before everything changed. How the boy's character in those moments and years afterward haunt him. Juxtapose Amir with his father Baba. Baba sacrifices his livelihood and wealth for his son. He is strong and courageous. Then there is Hassan the simple servant boy. He too makes sacrifices for his privileged master.

I never liked the boy Amir. Who's to say what we would do if faced with his situation. A whole country watched as Hitler exterminated it's unpopular citizens. I do know that I wouldn't be cruel and heartless.

Amir to the very end never learned a lesson about courage and overcoming obstacles. All he ever learned was how to fly a kite.

I loved reading about Kabul Afghanistan before it all went to hell. The kite flying competitions. The food, parties, traditions. A few commenters remarked in a negative way that this was a western story about Afghanistan. Yes I agree it is western themes and story telling but I don't see this as bad. Remember Amir and Hassan grew up watching the classic "Westerns". I would think a narrator might tell his story like a John Wayne movie. ( )
  debbie13410 | Oct 22, 2022 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Hosseini, Khaledprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,850,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible