The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn…

The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn (Mistborn, 3) (edition 2009)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Series: Mistborn Era 1 (3), Cosmere (4), Mistborn (3)

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness--the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists--is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed unless Emperor Elend Venture can find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world.… (more)
Member:alynnelorenz
Title:The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn (Mistborn, 3)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Tor Fantasy (2009), Edition: First, 760 pages

Work Information

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

English (221)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (225)
What I liked

Appropriately epic/heroic conclusion to a trilogy that didn't fill like it was just meandering into the next 'set'.

I really liked how the 'villain' of the first book was re-contextualised/understood. That was quite unique for this genre.

What I thought could have been better

Lot of moving parts at the end and the new villain was a bit to smug and 'before I kill you mister Bond allow me to tell you my whole plan so you can foil me at the last second'.

I think it would have been good to have the main characters suffer through the world-ending starvation bit more. They always seemed to have enough to eat and drink in the main.

Highlight

I think I liked the bit when Ruin revealed that they had all been setting up the pieces he wanted exactly they way he wanted esp. gathering the Kollos together ( )
  benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
It's been a year since the events at the Well of Ascension where Vin, thinking she was doing right, actually let Ruin free from prison. The mists and ashfall have gotten worse ever since and she, emperor Eland, and their friends are now traveling around the empire uncovering caches that the Lord Ruler had stashed in case just such an event occurred.

If you've enjoyed the first two Mistborn books, this third wrapping up the story will not disappoint. The stakes remain high, and the culmination of all their fighting and research is a fantastic payoff. I'll definitely be reading more by the author. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 9, 2022 |
Words cannot express the depth of emotion I felt when I finished this book.

There's nothing I can really say that others haven't said before me, but nothing else has made me feel like this before. Not with books. A stark, clear 10/10. ( )
1 vote FenAverkiev | Jul 30, 2022 |
10/10 stars. What a fantastic conclusion to this amazing trilogy. ( )
  curiouskt | Jul 25, 2022 |
This was a satisfying end to a entertaining and thought provoking series. What I appreciated most about this book is how tightly integrated everything was. Things that would have seemed like nothing more than plot devices in some novels were compelling because the groundwork had been laid earlier, often with small hints as early as the first book.

I highly recommend the trilogy. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChristianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brandon Sanderson's book The Hero of Ages was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,141,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible